Eddie Merckx - water in frame

craigsmall2003
craigsmall2003 Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Road general
Hi
I have had an Eddie Merckx EMX-1 since the end of the summer last year, I've avoided riding it in the rain until last weekend. When I was cleaning it afterwards I realised that there was water sloshing around inside the frame. I had to take the seat post out to let it out, about a pint off it!
Is this something anyone has experienced before??
Thanks in advance.
Craig

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Common with a lot of frames when riding without mudguards - runs down the slot in the back of the seatpost. You can make yourself a rubber boot from a section of inner tube stretched over the joint and held with cable ties.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    edited March 2014
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Common with a lot of frames when riding without mudguards - runs down the slot in the back of the seatpost. You can make yourself a rubber boot from a section of inner tube stretched over the joint and held with cable ties.

brill piece of advice , do you know where there is a pic showing how its done ?Im going to do this job myself.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are there no drainage holes in the frame ? Chain stay perhaps ?
  • Monty Dog wrote:

brill piece of advice , do you know where there is a pic showing how its done ?Im going to do this job myself.

Is this for real?!

Cut off a length of inner tube, take out your seatpost and slot the tube over it. Put post back in frame, tighten and then pull the tube section over the top of the seattube. I reckon a 700c tube would be a better fit than an old 26" one though.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    If it's been raining ill wheel the bike into the shed on it's back wheel (to do this raise the front of the bike between 0.1 and 1 metre) the little drainage holes at the end of the chainstays then let the water out, nice!
    If you have a CF bike you may need to use a hair dryer on a low setting to ensure its properly dry. CF hates water, especially on the inside where there is no gel coat :wink:

not all of the above may be true
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    If it's been raining ill wheel the bike into the shed on it's back wheel (to do this raise the front of the bike between 0.1 and 1 metre) the little drainage holes at the end of the chainstays then let the water out, nice!
    If you have a CF bike you may need to use a hair dryer on a low setting to ensure its properly dry. CF hates water, especially on the inside where there is no gel coat :wink:

not all of the above may be true

Very little of the above is true. Unless by water you mean a very corrosive acid.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Monty Dog wrote:

Sounds like a lot of faffing about, why not just wrap insulation tape round to cover it?