RVV Sportive Experiences

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited April 2014 in Road general
Hi Guys

I'm doing the RVV (tour of flanders) sportive on Saturday. Now I'm no climber and many of the stories Ive heard suggest that actually the climbs are so busy that inevitably someone stops which blocks everyone else, and actually everyone ends up walking...

Now I use speedplay pedals which are somewhat Diva-ish, especially when it comes to walking so I'm thinking that it might be easier to put the MTB pedals on and use some more sensible shoes, otherwise my expensive road shoes will just get ruined - i ve already mentally written the cleats off... my MTB and road shoes are essentially the same model, with/without tread anyway...

Any comments?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Good idea... Koppenberg and Paterberg can be a long procession of walkers... the sad thing is that you will see folks walking even up the Kwaremont, which is not exactly steep... Molenberg? If it's in the course it's another one for the walkers... Tajeneberg too... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited March 2014
    Also not a bad idea to put on a lower cassette if you have one. If you get slowed by people in front of you, you might have a better chance of not having to stop with some lower gears.

Also some more robust bottle cages might be worth looking at, but depends on what's avaliable to you and what you currently use.
  • ugo.santalucia
    They say if you do the full course most of the folks are gone by the time you reach the climbs... when I did it, we did the 140 Km and we were bang on in the middle of the chaos
  • ddraver
    yeah, no we re doing the course for normal people so i'm expecting (hoping) for a nice big party!

Thanks, think I ll do that then. Pross - the WiFli cassette is going back on for sure!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Pross - the WiFli cassette is going back on for sure!

Pross? :(
  • ddraver
    Ah massive fail!

Your photos look similar sometimes :oops:

I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness!
    the-simpsons-s6e12_625x352.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • No worries. Enjoy the ride. :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When I first rode it, I was possible to ride up all the climbs but that was 13 years ago - these days I'd recommend MTB shoes and pedals - if you leave at 6am on the long ride with a reasonably quick group, you hit the key climbs at the same of the mid-packers on the short-ride, notwithstanding the numbties who try to drive the route at the same time.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ddraver - I did it last year in Speedplays on the 'normal' route (80 milles iirc) leaving at about 7am. First big climb everyone was walking up coz of the mass of people. After that the rest were clear enough to cycle. Personally I'd hate to do any great distance in my cross pedals (eggbeaters) as they've got a tiny pedal contact area. Whatever pedals you take, I'm sure it'll be great... unless it rains! :-)

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ddraver
    Yeah, my MTB shoes are so flipping stiff it makes no difference to be honest...
    - @ddraver
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    At least the Koppenberg is well into it (75km) so might be a bit split up by then. Wondering about start times too, if its worth holding back a bit and starting later.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I did it last year in Speedplays on the 'normal' route (80 milles iirc) leaving at about 7am. First big climb everyone was walking up coz of the mass of people. After that the rest were clear enough to cycle.

Exactly the same here, the Koppenberg (one of the steepest) was up first and it was just gridlocked with walkers, but after that everyone kind of dispersed and they were all rideable. If you have got the legs to keep up a decent pace going up the hills, don't be afraid to give a friendly shout and any people walking should get out of your way. Whilst we were walking up the Koppenberg we were passed by a few of people absolutely determined to make it up and somehow they managed to plough their way through!

If you're trying to avoid the crowds I'd say try to get out earlier rather than later. Don't worry about the cleats though, you can always walk in the gutter if necessary, which at least isn't cobbled!
  • ddraver
    The impression I am getting is that it makes little difference. Although there are a few people there who want to race it, there are a great deal more Belgian locals who are just there for the party

I dunno, I think it's the sort of thing you just have to enjoy and have a laugh. If you want to test yourself against Tom or Fabian then go the week after when everyone else is watching P-R
    - @ddraver
  • Monty Dog
    Get to the start at 6am and enjoy the unofficial Flandrian cycling championships - average speed of 40kph for the first few hours and takes no prisoners IME. You'll find that Flemish cyclists aren't too hot on hand signals either, so expect to hit loose drain covers, kerbs and the like at full pelt - you'll be grateful for running fatter tyres. Some of the bigger clubs have support cars, broom wagons the lot. You can get a nice draft behind a Sprinter van for an hour or two ;-)
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Get to the start at 6am and enjoy the unofficial Flandrian cycling championships - average speed of 40kph for the first few hours and takes no prisoners IME. You'll find that Flemish cyclists aren't too hot on hand signals either, so expect to hit loose drain covers, kerbs and the like at full pelt - you'll be grateful for running fatter tyres. Some of the bigger clubs have support cars, broom wagons the lot. You can get a nice draft behind a Sprinter van for an hour or two ;-)

Does that still happen? I presume thats on the 140km route though?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    I dont have a ticket, feeling pretty guilty but I am going with a group. So I am still going.

How much do they check?

I will skip all the feed stations as thats just too rude I think.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ddraver
    I ve a friend who's from in Oudenaarde and does it every year. Not sure he's ever entered...
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think you'll be fine Mark... it's not the Ride London, where they patrol the course as if Obama had to drive through on a convertible
  • ddraver
    my experience of Dutch/belgian Sportives is that Feed stations are rudimentary at best
    - @ddraver
  • Feed stations were quite good last year. I recall at least 3 on the 140km route that we did.

Only thing they lacked were bottles of Zot and a regular supply of Leifmanns but that's just me being picky!
  • Monty Dog
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Does that still happen? I presume thats on the 140km route though?

Definitely on the longer route - goes out fast and comes back harder. I was talking to a Flemish guy who completed the 275km course in under 8 hours. One year on the old course we went out from Bruges to DePanne and then got murdered by strong westerly cross-winds and driving rain as we headed to Oudenaarde. Packs were echeloned across the road - young guy comes alongside driving a Corsa, toots his horn and indicates to his bumper - jumped aboard and got a tow back to the bunch!