Change in circumstances, bike advice wanted

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
A little background, last year I was road riding, a friend has asked me to do LEJOG with him next year, meaning I need to get on the road again, not wanting to leave MTBing behind, I need a hardtail, max budget is £750 (less of possible)

What options are out there for general trail use and some Peak District use.

Don't mind anything, but I do not want rubbish tektro hydraulic discs.

Thanks for any help offered
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I would just buy a decent cheap road bike, a £299 decathlon triban 3 will still be light years faster on the road than a £750 hard tail.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • KevChallis
    Maybe I should explain better, my reign is going, and have a £1300 budget for both a road bike and hardtail, I will be getting 2 new bikes, I didn't feel the full suss thing anyway, and hardtail is what I live in MTB, that's why I need a new hardtail, as I will be getting a new road bike too
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Ahh.

Take a look at the boardmans, especially the clearance models that are reduced at the moment.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    On One 45650b - £900.

Leaves you with £400 for a second hand road bike, or a budget road bike like a Carrera or Boardman:

Carrera Zelos - £269 (saving of £330 apparently)
    Carrera TdF - £329 (saving of £270 apparently)
    Boardman Road Sport - £499 (bit over budget)

Or whatever the equivalent is from Decathlon.

Or, spend a bit less on the HT - Halfords have some 2012/13 models still in clearance ... Comp for £519 / Team for £679 (if they have the right size for you.
  • KevChallis
    Okay, so spent £600 on road bike already lol, with other bits I needed, I have a budget if £550, bit cr@p I know, so I have the chance of a used trek 8000, or I was looking a new voodoo hoodoo or Bizango (not a debate on 26/29)

What do you guys think?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • kevinharley
    Boardman Comp (2012) at £519?

TBH, I would go used at that price ... which I see you're considering ... could get a tidy decent HT second hand for £550, better spec than what you'd pay new, and with little in the way of wear and tear ...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    KevChallis wrote:
    Okay, so spent £600 on road bike already lol, with other bits I needed, I have a budget if £550, bit cr@p I know, so I have the chance of a used trek 8000, or I was looking a new voodoo hoodoo or Bizango (not a debate on 26/29)

What do you guys think?
    You spent your money back to front.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • KevChallis
    cooldad wrote:
    KevChallis wrote:

What do you guys think?

I know :/
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • kevinharley
    cooldad wrote:
    KevChallis wrote:

What do you guys think?

^^^^ This! :roll:

Is it too late to change your mind?

I reckon if you've been used to a Giant Reign, the comedown to a new HT at around the £550 mark is likely to be quite noticeable, so reckon a decent used HT seems the way to go ...
  • KevChallis
    I only rode the reign a few times, and felt kind of 'detatched' from the trails, I also have the chance of Orange Crush 26in for 550
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I think for £550 the 2012 Boardman comp was a cracking bike.

But go second hand and you'll do a bit better.