Possible stolen Pinarello

joannesmith
joannesmith Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Road general
Hi,

I was browsing for a second hand road bike and found this.....now i don't no much about road bikes....but this seems dodgy. being that this looks like a very expensive bike....minimal info and contact by email.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/cheap ... 1054780232

I might be wrong, but figured here would be the best place to find someone looking for their long lost bike.

Jo

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Well if it isn't stolen, the owner is cutting their own throat. Looks far too good to be true (unless it's damaged).

I'd avoid it like the plague - isn't Gumtree the marketplace of choice for bike thieves?
  • I wasn't going to buy it. I just thought if I posted it here someone might be looking for it. Though I am not sure what they could do :/.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    are you able to flag it with gumtree or something, there is definitely something up with that
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • You can report it, but i just rang the non-emergency police number and they said they would investigate it (though seriously doubt they will do anything in time). I didn't report it on Gumtree so it wouldn't get taken down straight away. It gets me angry, that clearly cost someone a lot of money.
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    Same bike previously on ebay in December: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinarello-Dog ... 1023890341

I doubt the guy on gumtree actually has possession of the bike.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Thanks for that. Looks like he just took a picture and was trying to scam some money out of someone :/. I just reported it on Gumtree now.
  • Beave
    Beave Posts: 31
    It could also be that he missed a 0 off the end of his asking price from that on eBay , its from a similar area ooop north
  • Hi - Is the bike still for sail?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hi - Is the bike still for sail?

Definitely - but you have to wear a lifejacket ...
  • Speckled
    Speckled Posts: 97
    Remember seeing something on facebook a few weeks ago about an expensive pinarello being stolen from an organised bike ride in london, cant remember which event though
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    edited April 2014
    Pretty much every time a good bike turns up on gumtree you can guarantee that if you google the listing that it'll show up as having been sold on eBay previously. If it does, you'll find that the title, pics and some details are exactly the same. It's a scam they just skim details from ebay or craigslist or similar. Report it to gumtree with the link and they'll take it down. I've reported many, many fake bike sales. Same scam goes on with cameras.
    Personally I'd not believe any high value item on gumtree is actually in the possession of the 'seller'.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Quote " Very light bike ,a lot lighter than my friends bikes and noticeably quicker!!!

gotta be genuine :|
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Well the seller isn't in a rush to sell...although the ad portrays as though he wants to get rid of it ASAP. Having an email as your primary contact option isn't very effective. Someone who's looking for a quick sale is almost always going to include a phone number. Therefore I assume he doesn't own the bike and most likely intends on doing an internet scam.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    You can report it, but i just rang the non-emergency police number and they said they would investigate it (though seriously doubt they will do anything in time).

Pah, typical.

They were the same when I forwarded them an E mail I received from Dr Chisenga Mulenga in Nigeria who was offering me 10% of $50 million if he could use me bank and pay him some upfront costs to smuggle the cash out the country.

I never received any of my costs back. :roll:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    You can report it, but i just rang the non-emergency police number and they said they would investigate it (though seriously doubt they will do anything in time).

Pah, typical.

They were the same when I forwarded them an E mail I received from Dr Chisenga Mulenga in Nigeria who was offering me 10% of $50 million if he could use me bank and pay him some upfront costs to smuggle the cash out the country.

I never received any of my costs back. :roll:

You dumb ass. Everyone knows that only the emails you receive addressed 'My lovely' are legitimate. When my 300 million Ugandan blats pay out, I'll buy you something.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    jordan_217 wrote:
    You dumb ass. Everyone knows that only the emails you receive addressed 'My lovely' are legitimate. When my 300 million Ugandan blats pay out, I'll buy you something.

Like for nothing, or do we need to have sex first...?

:shock:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:

Like for nothing, or do we need to have sex first...?

:shock:

You just need to send me your account number, sort code and internet banking credentials so that I can deposit the money, my lovely. :lol:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Hmmmm a 2k bike for £250.. what a bargain

Some sticky fingered crack head needs his fix
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race