Shimano chain

HellsCyclist
HellsCyclist Posts: 122
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I had to undo a Shimano 10 speed chain. However I redone it by reinserting the pin I took out. How much of an issue is this for Shimano chains?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I don't think its recommended, I wouldn't chance it. Pick up a KMC quick link and use that, assuming you can find which pin you replaced of course.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless you have an irresistible desire to crack your top tube with your testicles, don't ride it. The pin you pushed out will have lost a tiny ring of metal and should be discarded. Pushing it back in will not have created a secure join. Shimano recommend you rejoin the chain using a new joining pin with a snap-off part. Alternatively you could join it using a KMC missing link or SRAM Powerlock. The KMC ones are reusable, the SRAM not meant to be reused.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    As above (keef66 is spot on with the description of why). Don't do it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I knew you shouldn't, but didn't know the precise reason. I have seen those little rings when breaking a chain so I know what you mean. Testicle to top tube interface is definitely best avoided.
  • As above (keef66 is spot on with the description of why). Don't do it.

You both are more than right. Unfortunately I already reinserted the link and therefore couldnt find it. I took my bike for a short test ride to test braking and other things as I have done a lot of work on it. When I came back I checked the chain to see if all was well. The pin I reinserted had already worked its way out by about half its length making it easy to find. Replaced with SRAM link and bike is riding great after a week of commuting. Cheers for the advice.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Glad to hear it all worked out.