Converting to di2

gimpl
gimpl Posts: 269
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Apologies in advance for what might seem like an obvious question to some.

I have just purchased a new aluminium Defy frame to build a winter bike. I already have a Defy Composite 1. I'm thinking that I could possibly purchase (in the end of year sales) a full Ultegra di2 group set and fit that to the Composite 1 and take the existing mechanical Ultegra groupset off and put it on the Alu Defy.

So can the Composite 1 take electronic di2 ? If not I have no problem purchasing a new 105 set for the Aluminium Defy.

Many thanks

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Yes it will fit, but unless the frame is drilled to accept the Di2 internal wiring then you'll need to use an external wiring kit.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • gimpl
    Yes it will fit, but unless the frame is drilled to accept the Di2 internal wiring then you'll need to use an external wiring kit.

Excellent - thanks.
  • gimpl
    Another couple of questions please:

Potentially keeping the wheels I already have on the Composite 1 which currently have a 10 speed cassette - any issues if I upgrade to an 11 speed ?

Internal battery - so if the wiring is external do you have to have an external battery ?

Many thanks
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Gimpl wrote:
    Another couple of questions please:

Potentially keeping the wheels I already have on the Composite 1 which currently have a 10 speed cassette - any issues if I upgrade to an 11 speed ?

Internal battery - so if the wiring is external do you have to have an external battery ?

Many thanks

Not sure about the first question, I think it depends on which wheels and how old they are, best to check with the wheel manufacturer. As for the second question the answer would practically be yes, because all the wiring is external you would use an external battery. Theoretically you could use an internal battery but you'd need to drill a suitable hole in the frame so you could connect it all up.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'