New Hardtail

Marko277
Marko277 Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Needing some advice on what hardtail to buy. Got a budget of £1000-£1300, I've been looking at the likes of On One, Scott, Giant & Specialized. Any help would be great :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How fit, what sort of riding and where?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Marko277
    Marko277 Posts: 3
    Would say I'm reasonably fit, little slow on climbs. I'm not a fast rider on the descents at the trail centers. Would mainly be riding on single track & cycle paths.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at Paul's Cycles for the bargains, but on one are great too such as the whippet.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Find a good shop and do some test rides. There are some very good bikes in that price range. I bought a 2013 carve after a test ride.
  • mtbjunkie08
    mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
    I can highly recommend Scott's, really high quality frames always well finished, lightweight and fast bikes. I will definitely be replacing my Scott Scale 80 with another Scott Scale when the time comes for an upgrade.
  • I can highly recommend Scott's, really high quality frames always well finished, lightweight and fast bikes. I will definitely be replacing my Scott Scale 80 with another Scott Scale when the time comes for an upgrade.

Same here, just bought a Scale 630 reduced from £2099 to £1049. It is 26 as I avoided all the marketing bull regarding wheel size. Weighs in at just over 22Ibs so is more XC race than comfy trail bike.

As others have/will point out, try, try and try again before committing to the purchase :)
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • mtbjunkie08
    mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
    I can highly recommend Scott's, really high quality frames always well finished, lightweight and fast bikes. I will definitely be replacing my Scott Scale 80 with another Scott Scale when the time comes for an upgrade.

Same here, just bought a Scale 630 reduced from £2099 to £1049. It is 26 as I avoided all the marketing bull regarding wheel size. Weighs in at just over 22Ibs so is more XC race than comfy trail bike.

As others have/will point out, try, try and try again before committing to the purchase :)

Nice, im very jealous 8)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2013_Bike

From what you are saying I'd go for something XC (like the first link) or maybe trail bike at the most (like the second link) . I wouldn't go over 130mm myself. Hardtail probably. Also check out the One One carbon XC bikes.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.