Bike Hook - for bike storage

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited March 2014 in Road general
Does anyone hang their bike from a wall hook? Got a photo of it?
I've got 3 bikes now and would like to store them neatly out the way. Do the wall hooks damage the wheel/spokes in any way?

Any help welcome

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    How about ceiling hooks? My cousin has 4 or 5 bikes hanging from his garage ceiling
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Cyloc - look really great and very easy to install etc.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Cyloc - look really great and very easy to install etc.
    Agreed.

d62f07ce4df354e22feb177bb33778b9.jpg
  • I have 2 of these in the Garage:

wheel+hanger.JPG

I got them from eBay but they are readily available

and this is them in use:

IMAG0283.jpg

no problems at all - no damage to spokes

with hindsight I would have put them at different heights as then I could get the bikes closer together. But the Boardman is one of my son's and he's at university most of the time so it doesn't matter
  • Just taken delivery of one of these for the garage.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... id:636784/

Went for a free-standing one as I wanted the option to move it round without having to drill more holes in the walls (although it does come with brackets to do so if you wish).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ednino wrote:
    Does anyone hang their bike from a wall hook? Got a photo of it?
    I've got 3 bikes now and would like to store them neatly out the way. Do the wall hooks damage the wheel/spokes in any way?

Any help welcome

I have two bikes hung up with wall hooks - no damage to wheels/spokes. I think my hooks came from Halfords. No issues with them whatsoever. Mine are fastened to a solid block wall - I might think twice about fixing them to plasterboard or similar...
  • I have a couple of these screwed to the garage wall:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046SKCKU

They are stronger than they look - mine hold a carbon fibre road bike and an aluminium hard-tail MTB no problem. What' really handy with these is that when the bike is on its hooks, it's more or less horizontal and the wheels are off the ground, which makes cleaning and general fettling really easy - there's no need to mess around with a workstand.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I use these: 41oTs2mEJ-L.jpg

I had to bend them out a little to make big volume tyres (1.9 and up) easier to fit you might have to do the same with deep section rims.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    I have 3 of these in the garage. Hang a variety of bikes from them and they work well. I'm sure they work as well as more expensive alternatives that hang a bike by the wheel.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    My bike room has three on this wall

Dont interfere with spokes and i manage an 80mm on the tt bike but have ti mount the bracket on the wall the wrong way up to make it easier for in and out.
    image_zpsc49b59c6.jpg
    image_zpsded3400e.jpg
  • Can't stand vertical bike storage. Makes me feel dizzy and gives me weird desire to lie on the floor.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Can't stand vertical bike storage. Makes me feel dizzy and gives me weird desire to lie on the floor.

Are you not mistaking vertical bike storage for alcohol...?
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    That looks ideal Jeff. Now to buy some hooks

Thanks all
  • Surely it would be better to have the bike running parallel to the wall so they don't project in to the room as much?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Surely it would be better to have the bike running parallel to the wall so they don't project in to the room as much?

But then you need more wallspace per bike and you either have to keep the space in front of the bike clear or move stuff to get access.

As always, it depends....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    One of these holds one bike behind the kitchen door, the other bike lives in the kitchen window

delta-leonardo-wall-mount.jpg

I was looking at the ceiling hoist from Lidl cause I have the height in my flat to walk under the bike when raised but haven't got the ladders to reach the ceiling safely to drill the holes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I have seven of these screwed to a batten in my garage:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ironmon ... 668/p70335

Screwfix do something similar but not quite as dirt cheap.

Staggered to accommodate different bar widths and hanging bikes alternately by the front and back wheels you can fit a lot into a small space.