Help buying first bikes!

Superdon
Superdon Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

A newbie in need of some help.....

Me and the wife want to buy bikes mainly for fun so we can go out for rides with our two toddles (will buy a trailer as well). It will be fairly light off road stuff, country lanes, fields and trails. Would be nice to have the option of something a bit more interesting though. Not very much true road riding, but a but of riding about town and I may commute to work in mine, but it's only about a mile or so. We are both about 5' 8 tall.

I originally thought we should look at hybrids. I was thinking of the Boardman MX Comp for me and hadn't really found anything for the wife. But then I thought we might be better with mountain bikes to give more flexibility on the off road side. I was thinking that if we do find ourselves doing more road riding we could get a set of more road friendly tyres on the mountain bike and swap them around as and when?

I don't want to spend too much money, but prefer to buy decent quality if I can.

So, on the mountain bike side, I found the Voodoo Bizango for me (£419 after all discounts and cashback) and a Carrera Vulcan for my wife (£263 after discounts).

I know the names not so good, and it means giving Halfords the business but it seems like a good deal for two seemingly well specd and reviewed bikes?

Going back to the hybrids. If you think that is a better option, I can get the Boardman MX Comp for the same price as the Bizango, but I haven't got a clue for the wife.

Any help would be great as I am going around in circles and confusing myself.

Comments