Best summer lube for 'best bike'.

moyesie
moyesie Posts: 68
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Now that it's officially BST the time has come to think about suitable lube for the best bike.

I'm currently running a light application of Morgan Blue Syn Lube and whilst it stands up to winter use (on my winter bike) it's not really suitable for the Campag 11 speed drivetrain I have, it's just too 'claggy'.

Given that I'll be riding in predominantly dry conditions what would be a good lube for summer use?

I tried Muc Off dry on my old bike last summer and I wasn't massively impressed, I got caught in a 20 minute downpour and spent the next 60 miles with a bone dry chain, that's something I want to avoid.

Not shy about spending time cleaning the bike but I'd rather not have to become obsessive about it!

Comments

• jxohn
    jxohn Posts: 38
    Tried them all and keep coming back to 'Purple Extreme' not cheap but the best!
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Welcome!

I suggest lubricating oil, the same as for any other bike in any other conditions. The kind most people have to hand is car engine oil, which is fabulously high quality for a challenging and very well tested environment, so I'd use that (I'm using ATF at the moment having accidentally bought a litre of the wrong spec for a car about 5 years ago- a lifetime's supply of chain oil!). Perhaps you have chainsaw oil to hand, in which case, that's probably even better suited. There are all sorts of expensive little god-knows-what bottles of snake oil for sale in your bike shop, however, apparently engineered specifically for bicycle chains, which you may prefer.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    WD40. Best there is. :wink:

Oh, by the way, please pass the popcorn. Thanx.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    olive oil
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I quite like Morgan Blue Race oil, not sure how it differs from what you're using though. With any non-dry lube, you need to wipe the chain properly after applying if you want to keep things running clean.
  • I am total noob when it comes to road cycling - or most cycling for that matter. I have just had my free 6 week service on my Caad 8 and the tech at the workshop recommended ceramic wax lubes. I have found a few:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/squirt-chain-lub
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-c3-dry-ceramic-lube-50ml/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-ceramic-wax-lubricant-60ml-bottle

I'm not sure on the how these differ from dry lubes, any thoughts or other rcommendations?

Thanks
  • jxohn
    jxohn Posts: 38
    Tried the ceramic dry but found it to be noisy and gathered on the cassette and chain rings.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    moyesie wrote:
    Now that it's officially BST the time has come to think about suitable lube for the best bike.
    I'm currently running a light application of Morgan Blue Syn Lube and whilst it stands up to winter use (on my winter bike) it's not really suitable for the Campag 11 speed drivetrain I have, it's just too 'claggy'.

You're in the same boat is me. I've tried a few lubes but for my Rourke (summer/best bike) with 11sp Campag, I'll be sticking with ProGold ProLink. It's a fine lube, needs to be applied quite often but the thing I like is that it is self-cleaning - no more sticky crap to try and get off. Most of the time I just wipe the chain over with a rag and a little GT85, and then apply some lube, one link at a time, from a dropper bottle.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rfretwell
    rfretwell Posts: 30
    balthazar wrote:
    Welcome!

I suggest lubricating oil, the same as for any other bike in any other conditions. The kind most people have to hand is car engine oil, which is fabulously high quality for a challenging and very well tested environment, so I'd use that (I'm using ATF at the moment having accidentally bought a litre of the wrong spec for a car about 5 years ago- a lifetime's supply of chain oil!). Perhaps you have chainsaw oil to hand, in which case, that's probably even better suited. There are all sorts of expensive little god-knows-what bottles of snake oil for sale in your bike shop, however, apparently engineered specifically for bicycle chains, which you may prefer.

+ 1. When all is said and done it's only a push-bike
  • rfretwell
    rfretwell Posts: 30
    Moonbiker wrote:
    olive oil

I find that Rapeseed oil makes better chips.
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    For my best bike that is yet to see rain

White Lightning clean ride for the chain for me
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/white-lightning ... ml-bottle/

Self cleans, and doesn't pick up dirt or leave the chain horrible black (and transfer the your leg!)

But don't us it if you go out in the rain.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    jxohn wrote:
    Tried them all and keep coming back to 'Purple Extreme' not cheap but the best!

+1

great stuff and no mess
    tick - tick - tick
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    I use Rock n Roll gold. Great stuff as it cleans and lubes the chain. Doesn't last long in the rain but I suppose that doesn't matter for your summer bike.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    EP90 gear oil.
    when that's gone i've got a bottle of EP80 to get through.
    After that i've probably got half a tin of castrol gtx floating around in the shed somewhere.
    Don't over think it, the contact stress is quite low and there is not really that much sliding going on.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    I must be missing out using finish line dry lube :-s
  • drlodge
    chatlow wrote:
    I must be missing out using finish line dry lube :-s

Not really, I used to use that stuff, but changed. It works fine just not quite so long lasting as my current lube.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • How the hell can any lube be "self-cleaning"???
  • drlodge
    How the hell can any lube be "self-cleaning"???

The new "mixes in" with the old and the whole lot can then wiped off/removed. I guess the new lube more dilutes the old.

ProGold is pretty thin stuff when applied, so it doesn't cling to the chain, and can be easily wiped off leaving a clean chain behind.
    Find me on Strava
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    A bit off topic, but what about a late spring - early summer lube? :?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    EP90 gear oil.
    when that's gone i've got a bottle of EP80 to get through.
    After that i've probably got half a tin of castrol gtx floating around in the shed somewhere.
    Don't over think it, the contact stress is quite low and there is not really that much sliding going on.

I do virtually the same, only mix 50/50 petrol and oil and then soak and leave to dry...feels good when it goes back on the bike. Use 3-in 1 spray on oil for the rest of the bike, which is doing the same thing , evaporating , leaving the oil in the right place.