Will Campag components fit any frame?

mortimer2000
mortimer2000 Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Road general
Hello everyone. Hope this is not too stupid a question as my opener!

I have an old Planet X Kaffenback (actually it is a prototype frame that Planet X were selling off cheap) which I built up with mavic open pros and campag veloce. It's about 9 years old now. I had a tumble a while back and the frame needs repairing, and the seatpost is stuck and it will need a respray after those repairs. So all in possibly £200 - £250 to repair it.

Although I love the frame and in general I'm usually in favour of repairing stuff even if it costs similar to getting new I can't help thinking that for around £100-£150 I could probably get a decent second hand frame like a Boardman Team or similar.

So my question is could I use all of my campag components on a Boardman or is there something Shimano or SRAM specific about frames?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    No, there is nothing groupset specific about frames, at least not with a fairly standard sort of frame like the Kaffenback.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Kaffenback frames can be had for £100 - you'd be nuts to pay more than that for a repair.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ok. Thanks for the tips - agreed, would be crazy to repair it. Just seen a couple of Kaffenback complete bikes on ebay for £250! And brand new frames for £150. Makes sense to go down one of those routes.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You've made your decision, but for the benefit of others with the proliferation of tapered headsets, BB30 BB86 and other types of BB, it's not as easy as it used to be to swap stuff over completely and as chainsets are designed to match styles of BB's then they may not be suitable either. But levers and mechs are ok.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Well it didn't take you long to get that on fleabay, are you getting another or choosing a different frame ?
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • The sun was shining and after about a year of wondering what to do with my bike I suddenly got round to it! I rather stupidly hadn't realised how cheap a secondhand Kaffenback would be. Don't know why. I think I was very attached to the bike as we've travelled and been through a lot together so was struggling to make a decision! Anyway, am going to sell it, and my Scott hybrid and all the other bikey bits and bobs I've had lying around forever and buy another complete bike. Probably a Kaffenback as I liked it, it ticks most of my boxes and they're ridiculous value for money. Open to any other suggestions though.
  • Also, thank you rafletcher - that's kind of what I suspected but wasn't sure.