New stem / bike fit etc

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Morning all, I have a whyte 901 in medium, I'm 5'8 but with shortish 30inch legs a longish body and gangly arms :lol: :oops: because I'm on the shorter end of this size bracket my saddle is low (I have it on the 9 out of 10 marker on the whyte seat post) so I'm thinking of switching some of the stackers to the top of the stem to get the front slightly lower. As the head tube angle is so slack I worried about the bars going forward and so am considering getting a new stem 10mm shorter to counteract this (from 60 to 50mm)

Is this overkill and am I over thinking this? If not will it affect the handling that much? For what it's worth the bike feels fine at the mo it's just I feel a bit upright on long slog climbs.

I guess the obvious option would be to switch stem height first and then see - but I don't have a torque wrench so was thinking of getting the lbs to do it when it has it's initial 6 week service.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I always like to drop the stem nice and low.
    Have you done enough off road miles to get a feel for how it rides?
  • Ferrals
    Probably not! :lol: :oops:

I've done a fair bit in a variety of terrain, but maybe should keep it as it is for a bit
    I
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The angle and the amount of spacers you'd remove would make a negligible effect, besides the steering response won't change due to that so then you'd be changing it with the stem from what may currently be 'right'.

A medium sounds too big, are you sure your arms are gangly, on the vast majority of people their arm length is matched to leg length. (Hence why in the paralympics, for prosthesis legs, arm length is used to determine the 'new' leg length).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    Bit late for it's too big! I've had it for over a month and been riding it a fair bit! So nothing I can do about that - if you really think it sounds too big any modifications worth thinking about?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The only thing you can do if it's too big is sell the frame and find another one in the right size.
    It does sound like it's a bit big if you only have an inch or two of seat post showing. You aren't going to be able to drop your saddle for technical riding.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He must have more seatpost than that showing, my legs are the same length and I have about 18cm showing in a 16" frame, so he should have about 13cm showing if the saddle to pedal is right.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    Sorry yes, there is 5.5 inches between the seat post clamp on the frame and the joint between seat post and saddle clamp. It doesn't feel bad to ride, I just feel slightly too upright with all the spacers under the stem. I bought the bike from a bike shop so I'd have thought they'd have said if I needed a small.