New on the Radar

nocash
nocash Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in MTB beginners
Evening ladies and gents.I was directed here by a few members of another forum(non bike related)

Looking to replace my Hardrock that was stolen with something a little better. Budget is around £1000 for a hardtail MTB.

Just trying to educate myself through reading the boards as I don't really know anything about bikes.

Enough rambling, enjoy your evening and happy biking 8)

Danny

Comments

• Morning and welcome to the forum.

For £1000, you have a lot of options.
    First thing you need to tell us is where you are riding (trail centres, canal paths and bridleways, trails etc).

And it would be good to supply some links to some bikes that you already have your eye on.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • nocash
    Morning and welcome to the forum.

For £1000, you have a lot of options.
    First thing you need to tell us is where you are riding (trail centres, canal paths and bridleways, trails etc).

And it would be good to supply some links to some bikes that you already have your eye on.

Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry for the brief introduction before, was more of a hello and why I joined but seeing as you have offered help, I will take it :D

As I said a few members of another forum suggested I signed up here after I asked for a good place to build some knowledge about MTB's. I only really commuted on my Hardrock before it was stolen so I set a budget of £500 to replace it.

I am now looking to get into biking a bit more, something to have fun on. Have forestry local so bridals, jumps, trails is the sort of thing I will be doing. My commute is so short that it's not really a consideration, I could walk but prefer riding.

I was told to look at second hand as I would get more bike for my £500 but I wasn't keen on that so decided to double my budget to £1000. I then came across the aggressive hardtails thread, some real nice bikes in there. I would love to build up my own bike from the frame up. So this is where I am stuck, choosing a frame. I will just be budgeting for parts as I go now.

Budget for a frame is £400.

Frames I have on the list
    http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/crush_frame/
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOC456E/on-one-carbon-456-evo-frame
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe

Any other suggestions and opinions on the above frames would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have no experience of the On-one but they get good reviews.
    My best mate has an Orange Crush and another riding partner has a Bfe. Both are pretty tough frames (good for bombing around trails). Not the lightest, but bomb-proof.
    I love my mates Cotic. He's stuck some old 160mm forks on it and it works beautifully when he's riding over the rough stuff.
    Thing with building your own, is that it works out more expensive. The Fox forks on my mates would set you back at least £350.
    Could also look at Ragley bikes. They have complete builds in your budget.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You won't get as good value building it yourself with all new parts as buying complete, but make judicious use of some pre-loved parts and you can keep the cost sensible.

£1K would get you some very nice complete builds, even £550 will get you something twice as good as a Hardrock.

No point having an aggressive hardtail unless you are going to use it's ability, a decent trail orientated bike will do most thinks better.

The 456 has a good rep, but a lot of owners find them very harsh riding.

£600 for the rest of the bike will be a struggle unless you make some compromises, buy used for some bits, or get a suitable donor bike and sell on what you don't need (harder with an aggressive bike where the new bikes tend to cost more than for a trail bike).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nocash
    Thanks for the replies, maybe I should of made it more clear that I don't plan on trying to build a bike for 1k.
    nocash wrote:
    I will just be budgeting for parts as I go now.

Budget for a frame is £400.
    It will take longer, cost more, no doubt but I really want to build my own. Every 2/3 weeks I will buy something for the build. Once I choose a frame I can decide on forks, groupset, wheels and everything else. Currently re doing our flat so that will slow it down a little.

Looking at Rockshox forks, Shimano groupset, Stan's rims. Not really looked into other things, need to decide on a frame.

Leaning towards the Crush, for looks and 27.5 flavour.