Ultegra chain/cassette issues

heathy_76
heathy_76 Posts: 213
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me. I've tried Google without much luck.
I have replaced my 105 chain and cassette with Ultegra 6701 chain and 6700 cassette. After much swearing and tearing of hair out trying to index the rear derailleur I read the instructions and found out I have bought incompatible parts. Numpty.

I'm about to order a 6700 chain but I'm not full of confidence about that working.
I thought all Shimano 10speed was compatible, what's the difference???

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Get a KMC chain instead :)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Where did you read that they aren't compatible? I am sure that they are. Anyway, real men don't read instructions!
    Some thoughts:
    Depending on your free hub, there may be a spacer between the free hub and the cassette. Sometimes these stick to the old cassette when you remove it - check.
    Have you adjusted the limit screws? You may need to.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Forget what the Shimano tech docs say. 5700 105 and 6700 Ultegra drivetrain parts are totally interchangeable. My bike is currently fitted with 6700 shifters and mechs, a 105 chain and a Tiagra cassette. Works just fine.
  • This

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... s_2009.pdf

gives some information, but doesn't cover the newer CN-6701. I think (based on hearsay, rumour and gossip rather than actual hard evidence) that CN-6700 wasn't compatible with the 6600 triple setups, but CN-6701 is.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Barbarossa wrote:
    Depending on your free hub, there may be a spacer between the free hub and the cassette. Sometimes these stick to the old cassette when you remove it - check.

As above would be my best guess too.
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    Morning,

Over the weekend I fitted my old 105 cassette to my new wheels. This confirmed that they are no spacer issues as everything indexed nicely.
    So I refitted my new Ultegra cassette, double checked the upper and lower derailleur limit screws, set everything up from scratch and it still runs terribly. In fact my old, worn 105 cassette runs better. I have tried every combination of wheels, chains and cassettes that I have and the issue seems to be the Ultegra cassette.

I've ordered a new 105 cassette and chain so the Ultegra stuff will be consigned to the parts bin.
    (More cash thrown in the cycling black hole :lol: )
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    pretty sure 6701 chain is direction specific i.e. there's only writing on one side of it and the writing should face outwards
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The newer Ultegra and 105 chains (CN-6701, CN-5701) are directional; the writing should be on the outside. They are also not recommended for triples, and the older CN-6600 and 5600 chains are recommended and continue to be available.

As above, my experience has always been that Shimano 10 speed components are pretty well mix and match, so something odd is happening with yours. You sure both chain and cassette are 10 speed?