tire liners

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited April 2014 in Commuting general
Having now had around 7 puntures this year I am thinking of getting a tire liner. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Panaracer...and possibly better tyres?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm currently using a 23 carcass as a liner in a 28 they are both Spesh Espoir tyres with Black Belt x2 puncture protection which I have found very resistant to punctures.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have found them very resistant to punctures, why are you using 2?

Most liners add more weight than going to a more puncture resistant tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    At the time I only had 23mm max tubes available so I figured I'd try it. The 28 has done over 4000 miles as a front tyre so isn't as strong as it was. It's going to be retired when I get around to fitting my DuoComps and I'll probably pull it out for next winter as the 28 is that bit grippier in the wet if a little squirmy under acceleration.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    I had this problem. Tried the panaracer liner, got a puncture!! Swapped to Schwalbe Marathons, no punctures!! Job done.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes but what was your sample size (miles done) and the statistical relevance?

4,500 miles logged, 2 punctures, only one of which I've had to fix roadside, I could have claimed my first tyre choice was totally puncture proof to 2000 miles (to my first puncture), my new tyre choice are also no punctures (800 and 100 miles respectively).

Without context such comments are meaningless! Example I ride through a uni campus through the halls of residences cycle paths (lots of broken glass on a Monday!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes but what was your sample size (miles done) and the statistical relevance?

4,500 miles logged, 2 punctures, only one of which I've had to fix roadside, I could have claimed my first tyre choice was totally puncture proof to 2000 miles (to my first puncture), my new tyre choice are also no punctures (800 and 100 miles respectively).

Without context such comments are meaningless! Example I ride through a uni campus through the halls of residences cycle paths (lots of broken glass on a Monday!)

Yeah this website drives me crazy with the lack of context with the answers (and yeah, I do it too :) )

People claim the most paper thin tyres are the best ever because they rode 2 miles on perfect roads in great weather and didn't puncture...and claim their lidl waterproof was waterproof and breathable after a 50 yard ride to the shops in light rain at 5mph :) And so on... :)

ps. just done 1500 autumn/winter miles on my marathon pluses on crap cycle paths and potholed roads with no probs...but a previous marathon plus lasted 900 miles before getting a massive chunk ripped out by 'something' - but no tyre would've survived that!
  • I use 25c Gatorskins and ive done 1500 miles this year so far and ive only had the one puncture and it was a pinch flat because i was looking at my Garmin and hit a pot hole!
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    I had this problem. Tried the panaracer liner, got a puncture!! Swapped to Schwalbe Marathons, no punctures!! Job done.

OK, context to my feedback (quite right too!).

Original tyres that the panaracer liner was applied to were Conti Double Fighters, 26*1.9. I ride to work 10 miles each way 50% road, 50% towpath. Tow path is a combination of beat up tarmac, mud and cobbles with glass and hedgerow thorns thrown in for good measure :-).

Puncture with liner occurred during the first week after fitting.

I replaced the MTB with a CX bike, last Nov, to which I fitted the Marathons (700x28). Same route, except for the muddy bits, and have cycled 500 miles with no punctures.

Interestingly enough, when the evenings became lighter, I swapped the original tyres back onthe CX (Schwalbe Racing Ralphs) for the muddy sections, and got a puncture week1!!

I have since done some googling (on here as well as other sites) and bought a pair of Schwalbe Land Cruisers for the CX, for the combination of centre bead, puncture resistance and mud handling, and have done 200 miles with no flats (so far).

Hope that helps :-)