tyre recommendations

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited March 2014 in Road general
Just got my new krysium elites today and dont really like the yksium tyres that came with them.

would like to ask your recommendations on tyres that have good puncture resistance and also low rolling resistance.i know a lot of you will say gp 4000s but was wondering if there is anything else out there with the same qualitys.not to worried about budget so fire away.

I not a racer or anything but do push myself when out on a ride so hence the low rolling resistance requirement.

Thanks
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• Michelin Pro4 Endurance

I know I hark on about these bloody tyres far too much, but they are quite simply the best tyres I've ever owned. Their resistance to cuts is fantastic, they roll pretty well and grip is very good.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    2 mates I regularly cycle with swear by Vittoria Rubinos for grip, puncture resistance, low rolling, all the good stuff. They have been using them for the past 3 years and always stick by them. They are cheaper than the Conti gp4000's but I'm sticking with my Contis.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    These and they are a bargain too. Vredestein fortezza quattro tricomp:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... redtyrf225
  • I use gp4000s on ksyrium elites. No puncture in several thousand k.

That's ruined that then.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    So the question is what's exactly like GP4000S?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance

I know I hark on about these bloody tyres far too much, but they are quite simply the best tyres I've ever owned. Their resistance to cuts is fantastic, they roll pretty well and grip is very good.

I've recently had a puncture in mine, but I think that's only the second or so and I'm commuting on them every day. The puncture resistance comes from a thicker rubber strip in the centre, rather than kevlar or somesuch. It's hard to estimate rolling resistance, but yesterday I noticed I was taking chunks out of other cyclists on descents despite not being noticeably more aero or fatter than them, so clearly my tyres weren't obviously slowing me down.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    So the question is what's exactly like GP4000S?
    something like that yeah :P

been checking up some of the suggestions here and all look good tyres...decisions decisions :lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Just have a look for the tyre on offer, you've got Pro 4s going for about £40 a pair and 4000s going for about £50 a pair, both are good tyres.
    If you've got a few quid more go for Vittoria open corsa cx, you've got a better tyre but you wont get the mileage of the other two.
  • I believe your likelyhood of a puncture is directionally proportional to your ride frequency, naturally :D

No tyre is "puncture proof", but I think the better condition the tyre stays in over time can have some bearing on how more likely you are to be susceptible to punctures. Tyres that cut-up easily are obv not the best. I can only vouch for the Pro4 E's having a ridiculously good resistance to cuts. I have them on both my winter and summer bikes now- no point looking elsewhere for me. Tbh, if I still raced, I'd probably stick them on the race bike too!
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Bozman - where did you see the Pro 4's for £40 a pair? Id be interested in trying a set on my new wheels. Ive been using Panracer Ribmos all winter, but fancy a change.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    iPete wrote:

Aye. I did about 15k and no punctures on two sets of these. Great tyres. This is, of course, purely anecdotal.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    HamishD wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Aye. I did about 15k and no punctures on two sets of these. Great tyres. This is, of course, purely anecdotal.

Deerrrr. !5 thousand k. Sorry.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Bozman - where did you see the Pro 4's for £40 a pair? Id be interested in trying a set on my new wheels. Ive been using Panracer Ribmos all winter, but fancy a change.

I think that it was Planet X, Wiggle and Shiny bikes had them at roughly that price too. for some reason everywhere was selling them off cheap.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance

I was very disappointed with the one I tried, massive cut and write off of the tyre. And that was after a couple of other punctures. That was a big surprise as I was a long-term and satisfied Krylion user and I thought the new generation version would be better, instead it seemed less puncture resistant and more fragile.

I've gone over to Schwalbe Duranos which seem to have the sturdiness of the old Krylion, but I think they are a fraction slower (its hard to tell though).
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Vittoria Rubino Pro's are the best all round tyre I have used. If you want to up the puncture protection go for the tech version .......... which are going very cheap:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino ... cher-tyre/