All-Round Tyres

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to get some new tyres in the next few weeks, I'm after some good all-round tyres with decent puncture resistance. I've looked at the Continental Mountain King Protection and the Specialized Armadillo but they seem very expensive for just a tyre, are there not any decent more affordable alternatives?

Any advice appreciated,

thanks

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    MK2 is a pretty good tyre with Black Chili; marginally better than The ADvantage linked above, but not at all by much. Conti tyres are much cheaper from the German stores if you haven't looked there already.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mtbjunkie08
    passout wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks good, but whats its puncture resistance like, also the tread looks quite deep, how does it roll on the road?.
    warpcow wrote:
    MK2 is a pretty good tyre with Black Chili; marginally better than The ADvantage linked above, but not at all by much. Conti tyres are much cheaper from the German stores if you haven't looked there already.

Thanks for the tip regarding the german stores, i've found this conti that looks like a bargain as it has the Protection feature:
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2

Any ideas if its any good?

This looks good, any idea how good its puncture resistance is?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I run the older version tubeless so couldn't tell you. They might be awful but the sealant is doing a great job or they may be great which is why I rarely have to top the sealant up too much!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Hi,

I'm looking to get some new tyres in the next few weeks, I'm after some good all-round tyres with decent puncture resistance. I've looked at the Continental Mountain King Protection and the Specialized Armadillo but they seem very expensive for just a tyre, are there not any decent more affordable alternatives?

Any advice appreciated,

thanks

Panaracer Fire XC Pro - very good for most conditions except proper sticky mud. Should be able to pick up a pair for about £25.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Been running botranger xr4 team issue. They have turned out to be very good around tires. Fast tyres, grippy off road, good side grip and not too bad in mud.
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    Thought I would tag onto the bottom of this rather create a new thread. I'm after a fit and forget all round trail\ light AM PAIR of tyres any ideas?

been looking at the Specialized Purgatory, bonty XR4 and maybe maybe as they are pretty pricey the mountain king 2 black chilil but they aint cheap any other ideas or combo's because i want a pair
  • passout

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks good, but whats its puncture resistance like, also the tread looks quite deep, how does it roll on the road?.

To answer your question -
    Puncture resistance is excellent - I find that Maxxis tyres are generally tough & I get less pich flats with them. Tread is quite deep with the advantage so not fast on fireroads / roads. If you want a fast rolling summer version then try the Maxxis Aspen 2.25 - I find these very quick. I had mine on the rear through the winter on my hardtail which I ride in the Lakes - It squirmed a bit in the muddiest conditions but was otherwise very good - even on wet rock etc. I had the advantage up front for grip but will swap that for an aspen too if summer hits!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mtbjunkie08
    Thanks for all the advice and recommendations guys its much appreciated. After alot of reading and comparing I think I may be going for the Panaracer Fire XC Pro, but are these suitable for Front and Rear use?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • passout
    Yes, although I only ever put them on the rear and went for something more grippy up front. Experiment though.