Presta Valve Help

chefyong
chefyong Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,
I consider myself a newbie, after 30 years away from road cycling. I am sure this question has been previously asked but I could not find the right answer during my search.

When using tires with presta valve, do you:
a. Loosen (unscrew) the knob on top of the valve as far as it will go or
b. Unscrew it just a little then pump

I have already threw 2 tubes trying fill air but ending with bent valves stems.

Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Screw it wide open then turn to close approx 1/8 of a turn to prevent it jamming.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    1: Loosen the knob to the end of the thread
    2: Push it down to make sure it's not sticky
    3: Inflate it enough to hold shape but not stretch
    4: Put the tube washer all the way down so it goes on the inside of the rim (if, like me, you've ever torn a valve off a tube when releasing a pump's vice like grip you'll see why)
    5: Put the tube in the tyre and align valve to tyre logos
    6: Inflate with track pump to correct pressure (or use CO2 if you're out and about)
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tube washer??

As above, I normally unscrew the thing all the way then reverse it a tiny bit before attaching the pump. You just need to be careful to keep the pump connector in line with the valve when attaching and removing.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    keef66 wrote:
    As above, I normally unscrew the thing all the way then reverse it a tiny bit before attaching the pump. You just need to be careful to keep the pump connector in line with the valve when attaching and removing.

This ---^ Give the the thing a little press before attaching the pump if you want to check its not stuck, but the pump will unstick it anyway. The key thing is to ensure you attach/detach the pump in a straight manner so as not to bend the value thingy.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    30+ years and I unscrew it a little bit and press it in to make sure its working.

Then pump.

No need to unscrew it all the way back and I've never bent one yet.

Are you holding the pump head onto the valve ?
  • chefyong
    chefyong Posts: 5
    Yes I am.