Well, thank you too...

tootsie323
tootsie323 Posts: 199
edited April 2014 in Commuting general
I probably should not be cheering what happened but, hooray, I have an excuse to put a rant on here!
I'm more of an XC rider but use such a route to get to work and back. This does involve having to negotiate a few streets before hitting the trails and I have had my fair share of motorists lacking awareness and, to be fair, those demonstrating courtesy.
I also use both a car and my feet, so do encounter cyclists both as a motorist and pedistrian. Generally (and contrary to what the press might have us believe) my experience tells me that we do live in a world where everybody likes to get along. There has been the occassional exception (as with any walk of life / scenario / insert whatver you please here) but the other day made me blink.
Driving home from a business 'workshop' I had a right turn to negotiate. As a gap in the oncoming traffic gave me the opportunity to complete said turn I observed a cyclist approaching the junction (also in the oncoming direction)on a cycle lane portion of the pavement. Anticipating that he would cross the road in which I was about to turn, I waited for him to pass (actually, if the Highway Code has anything to go by, he probably had right of way).
I was not specifically expecting a 'thank-you' but I was aware that, had I been in his position, I would have waved some form of acknowledgement to the driver.
I was certainly not expecting a prolonged view of his middle finger and a sensation of 'what on earth did I do?'
Anybody had a similar experience? Thanks for allowing me this rant!

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Usually traffic in the road has priority over cycle traffic on a cycle lane on a pavement. So I guess you confused him as you had priority but didn't use it.

The alternative explanation is that you mistook a thumbs up for a single finger salute.

But what you did wrong was the driving part :wink:
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • submers
    submers Posts: 14
    edited August 2019
    I take a relatively quiet back route into town from SE London which includes residential roads with parked cars on each side

I try to ride as courteously as possible, giving way to oncoming cars when there is limited space but I'm getting really tired of the number of drivers who don't acknowledge this with a hand or flash of lights, as if there's nothing to acknowledge because that's what a cyclist is 'supposed to do'.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    some people are idiots, wouldn't let it bother you.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Personal karma even in a world full of rissoles...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Live and let live, some people say thank you, some don't, some say hello, some don't, it's no biggie :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn