Grizedale Grizzly Adventure

drummer_boy
drummer_boy Posts: 236
edited April 2014 in Cyclocross
I am thinking of going in for this ride.

Has it been run before, and if it has, did anyone on here enter, and what's it like?

Comments

• Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    The Lakeland Monster Miles last October was the first. I did teh full route. It was a fantastic outing. Something very different. If I wasn't already committed to something that weekend, I'd be doing the Grizzly.

Its probably not going to be a tough as the monster miles were (rather less hilly!) but it'll still be cracking. A truly beautiful part of the country. And I'm lucky enough to live here! :-)
    It'll be harder than a road ride of a similar length, but probably not as technical as a full-on cross event. Most of the off-road sections will be bridleways & fire tracks.

Go for it!
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Looks good fun that. Tempted.
  • drummer_boy
    Well, I've signed up, for the 45 miler, as it's my first event, and the hill profile looks challenging!!
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Looks a good event
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    rgasuk wrote:
    Looks a good event

Doesn't it just. Starts from Cartmel too - lovely little village.

I'll be looking at doing that next year, I think.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Looking at your posts and I do fancy entering, as I haven't entered anything similar before,
    but decisions, decisions about bike choice!!! I have a 29er mountain bike or messenger style hybrid.

Which bike would you recommend using?
  • Clank
    29er, without a seconds hesitation.

.....unless you want an excuse for a new CX!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• Thanks for advice, don't think purse strings will stretch to a CX bike, or will they... bike to work scheme??
    ...mmmm now you have me thinking!!!!
    Need to put some miles in now.
  • Clank
    Go to Wiggle, find the Verenti Substance, click 'buy'. It's like the Genesis CDF but with better brakes for 300 quid less.

Then look for an 11-36, 9 speed cassette for it. Job done.

Wiggle have got a very nice Ridley going cheap, too, if you want to spend a little bit extra. Go on, treat yourself. You know your worth it.

• drummer_boy
    I'll be on my C2W PlanetX XLS CX :-) It was either that or the Kona Caldera MTB. But as half of the race is on road, I thought the 700c wheels will be my friend!!
  • drummer_boy
    Just been handed a copy of last week's Cycling weekly where there's a write up of the event route. Looks good, and my training is doing OK as well! Just hoping for good weather now.

I walk a lot in the lakes and know how quickly it can change!
  • drummer_boy
    Well, I did it, and got back in one piece!! My bike needs a better engine though, and that's my next target.

The course was a fantastic mix of tarmac, grass, mud, water and rocks! Some of the climbs off road were nothing more than rocky stream beds, and were full on MTB territory (for me at least).

I traded off-road grip for puncture proofing, and on road tyre pressures. Whilst I had to carry the bike where I lost traction, I past many an MTB on the road sections, and the bike handled some very tough (and rocky) down hill sections.

Very good event, well run, and lots of fun. Well sign posted, and I am not looking at one of the others in this series (maybe the Yorkshire one in June).