Gent-Wevelgem 2014

chrisday
chrisday Posts: 300
edited April 2014 in Pro race
Afternoon all,

As part of me and my drinking buddy's aim of bagging all the Spring Classics, this year we're taking in G-W. In recent years, you guys have been outstanding providing tips for viewing with RVV and P-R, so I'm coming back to the well to de-lurk for purposes other than glib interjections to trolls.

We're going to stay in Gent, as we enjoyed it there last year as a base for RVV. Any hints and tips on best viewing places etc. are most gratefully received.
Would I be right in assuming the level of free transfer buses (and transport generally) won't be as well-developed as for RVV? That is, we're largely down to regular public transport and/or hire car (which we'd generally seek to avoid as it means one of us having to not drink at all)

TIA,
Chris
@shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves

Comments

• I've sent you a cheeky PM Chris.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I've sent you a cheeky PM Chris.

Our Man of Gent
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I suggest watching it on the Kemmelberg, they normally do 2 laps of it, there's a few bars and outdoor bbqs on the hill so always fun.

Stay in Ypres about 10kms away, loads of bars and restaurants (rabbit stews a must) and visit the Menin gate at 8.00pm that's a must!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemmelberg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menin_Gate
  • chrisday
    Cheers Flasher (and DG, of course) - our assumption was going for the Kemmelberg, so nice to have that confirmed. Is there a nearby station/bus stop to walk from or is it miles in the middle of nowhere? Don't mind a bit of a walk out there, but if we can avoid driving that's a plus :)
    Think we're committed to staying in Gent itself, but will have a nose at Ypres.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    chrisday wrote:
    Cheers Flasher (and DG, of course) - our assumption was going for the Kemmelberg, so nice to have that confirmed. Is there a nearby station/bus stop to walk from or is it miles in the middle of nowhere? Don't mind a bit of a walk out there, but if we can avoid driving that's a plus :)
    Think we're committed to staying in Gent itself, but will have a nose at Ypres.

We normally get the earliest ferry from Dover to Dunkirk and then cycle to the Kemmelberg, which is about 35/40 miles (depending on the route). So unfortunately don't know the score regarding public transport. Be aware the clocks change that w/e!

Doing the Ronde this year for a change of scenery :)
  • chrisday
    Hey DG - for some reason the IM/PM stuff isn't working for me on the site.
    Could you send me a tweet via @shraap if you're still free to meet up for beerage after the race Sunday!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Sounds like Cav might be a doubtful since he is full of cold at the mo.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    RonB wrote:
    Sounds like Cav might be a doubtful since he is full of cold at the mo.
    He's officially DNS.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chrisday
    That was fun :)

Quick recap of travel possibilities etc. for anyone searching these posts in future...
    You can get from Gent to Deinze for the race start by bus etc., but you can also get up still a bit p!ssed from the day before and get a taxi at the last minute. You will arrive just in time for the end of sign-on, and be able to see em roll out.
    Public transport options to Kemmel are more limited, but you can make it without too much hassle to Wevelgem. There's a handy little phone app called (originally enough) "Belgian Trains" which allows you to live search journeys. This sorted us on our odyssey around Sunday engineering work via a bus to Waregem, train to Kortrijk and another train to Wevelgem. Fortunately, all these places have bars near their stations. And you've never properly experienced a country till you've been on their bus system.

Still, that's the first time in many bike races I've actually seen both the start and finish of the same race/stage.

Massive thanks also need to go to Disgruntled Goat, who joined us for the Saturday beer sampling session and general shennanigans. Am searching out Duvel Tripel Hop already, and am working on my pool game. I'm thinking "don't drink for 10 hours before the game" would be step 1. :P
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Ha! A proper Belgian experience. Well played.