Decent Waterproof Jacket Wanted

stuartglover82
stuartglover82 Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm after a decent waterproof jacket for biking. My trusty mountain equipment jacket that I've had for 8 or so years has given up the ghost and will soon be going to the big pac-a-mac in the sky :(

So what I'm after:
A waterproof, light, packable jacket that is breathable and preferably with under arm vents.
I've got about £100-130 to spend and I'm after decent quality so it lasts well.

What I ride:
I like the tail centers and XC.

Cheers
Cube Sting 140 Pro 29er 2014
Specialized Hockhopper SL comp 2011
Carrera Vulcan 2009 - retired

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I have a North Face Paclite Gore Tex jacket, fits all your criteria except its RRP is £220 - I got mine for £130 in the sales - which should be around soon as we're going into summer in the shops.
  • desmorrow
    desmorrow Posts: 115
    I just have an endura gridlock for about 50 quid. Does the job.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Mavic H20 - packable enough for a camel back but not a jersey pocket (I ride road bikes too). I have the hi viz version which doesn't have pit zips but is highly breathable for a waterproof.I also have an endura gridlock but find it a bit heavier and not very breathable - lasts ages though & is good value.

Gore is a good brand if you can find one of their waterproofs discounted somewhere. On On had some stuff in a sale a while back, might be worth a look too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • kev_gray
    kev_gray Posts: 44
    I was just about to put up a very similar post! I've however been having a look around various non-cycling related jackets as well as cycling ones for added breath-ability. So far I have been advised everything from the Rab Spark to the Haglofs Viper jackets. I've also found on the cycling specific jacket side they seem to be a lot more pricey for something breathable, still got to take a trip out to a bike specific shop to check these out though as only managed outdoor shops so far. I will be keeping an eye on this thread though.
  • Hi All,

Thanks all for your input.

I'm still looking though.

I love the North Face kit and have a few NF jackets but they're all lined for mountain/snow applications so not really suitable. I've had a look around for a pac lite jacket and found this: http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/9631 ... tAodlA0Anw

The Endura Gridlock looks alright but the reviews of its breath ability aren't that good.

I like the look of the Mavic H20 in the green: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... lsrc=aw.ds

The Gore stuff is nice but reviews are scarce.

I've had a look around outdoor shops online as well but still looking.

Cheers
    Cube Sting 140 Pro 29er 2014
    Specialized Hockhopper SL comp 2011
    Carrera Vulcan 2009 - retired
  • You could also take a look at the Mavic Helium H20 Jacket http://www.mavic.com/apparel-men-road-j ... zVP6V7p8gM. Waterproof, super lightweight, packable into a rear pocket and has venting under the arms, body and at the rear. This little monkey has saved my bacon on many a mountain pass when the weather has suddenly turned. With the amount of rain we've had this winter I've practically lived in it too so it's been subject to some serious abuse, and still it comes back for more. I often use it if it's cold out (first thing) or as a jacket on long descents to block the wind chill. As it's so light it's easy enough to throw in a pocket and carry. It's worked well for the type of riding I do, but it's always worth trying to get in to a retailer to try a few different options on and to see what works for you.

Ride safe......and stay dry ;-)

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager