Enigma Echo

nicholsonsimon
nicholsonsimon Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Your road bikes
Here's my new Enigma Echo, just finished building it up. I'm very pleased with it, It's very smooth on these dodgy roads in Northumberland. My first titanium frame. The chaps at Enigma were a pleasure to deal with.

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Very nice. Spec?

I much prefer the look of the new rear stays. Mine is two years old with the curved stays. I cant help but think they're the reason the bike becomes 'choppy' and skitish when sprinting. Anyway...

Enjoy it, they're great at soaking up the miles.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Very nice...but I am biased as I've just got one myself and built up with a mixture of SRAM Red/Force.

Currently got a titanium seat post in but seeing yours with a black one may change my mind...walks to the garage to look again :wink:

Agree re the straight stays
  • Cheers, I did think about a titanium seat post, but really wanted to try the new Ergon one, I think it's likely to be more forgiving.

Spec..
    Frame- Echo
    Fork- Enigma Electron
    Bars- Cinelli Neo Morphe
    Stem- Thompson X2
    H.Set- Enigma Evolution, with Hope spacers
    Deda perforated cork bar tape

Groupset- Shimano Ultegra 7870 Di2 with 52/36, and 11-28
    Saddle- Selle Italia Flite(old one)
    Seatpost- Ergon CF2
    Seatpost clamp- Enigma Titanium

Pedals- Ultegra carbon
    BB- Ultegra
    Wheelset- FFWD F2R tubulars
    Front tyre- Conti Gatorskin 25
    Rear Tyre- Tufo Elite Ride 25

Bottle cages- Arundel Mandible
    Chain catcher- K-Edge
    Light- Knog Blinder front
    Light Rear- RSP
    Garmin 800 with 'out front' mount.
  • Did you buy the wrong size, a ridiculous amount of seatpost showing.

A black chainset would look much better.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Intrigued by that seat post, please post on here how you get on with it.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    enigmas are brill, i had an echo, just sold the frame on ebay as i now have an esprit. one day i will afford a custom build!

very nice btw!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Yes, I see what you're saying about the amount of seat post showing, it looks like a lot, but it's a bit deceiving. It is the right size for me though. I have a Cervelo RS with almost the same geometry, and it looks like less is showing, but is almost the same.
    I can say that the Ergon seat post is very good so far, it really soaks up the small bumps and vibrations. I'll be trying a normal carbon post at some point as well, just so I can get a proper comparison out of interest, but I'll stick with the Ergon.
  • nice but what size stem is that? around 80/90? +17 ?
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Did you buy the wrong size, a ridiculous amount of seatpost showing.

A black chainset would look much better.

Looks like the OP is all legs
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    That really is a perch.
    Eagles nest lower !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    Here's Mine, still not ridden
    Not the best photo, I know, but the only one to hand.
    Full Dura Ace
    Enve fork
    Chris King Hubs
    Enigma Bar, Stem and Seat post.
    Mavic open pro wheels

image_zps453ede67.jpg
  • Very nice mate. At least you won't be getting any stick for your saddle height….!?
  • DB100
    No, I'm afraid I'm challenged in the leg department! I'm sure I used to have a 31 inside leg, not anymore :D:D:D
  • tommo7567
    tommo7567 Posts: 95
    The more I see Titanium the more I love it.

Can't see the issue re the seatpost...it is after all a sloping top tube which exaggerates the look. The saddle to bar drop isn't that great either so theres no issue IMO.

If you want to see a huge difference have a look at Sean Yates' Enigma on the cover of his book....now that's a long seatpost and saddle to bar drop but does anyone criticise him on it!? :lol:

The new Ultegra really suits Ti frames too, although I am biased as I think mine go perfectly together.

Anyway, you're gonna love it I'm sure. With all these Titanuim bikes we should have a Bike Radar Ti love in sportive :lol:
  • Here's a pic of mine...I also don't see an issue with the seatpost height as mine is similar :?

Just waiting for a few injuries to clear up before I can ride in earnest!!!

IMG_20140312_153427_zps6f323474.jpg
  • DB100
    No mistake,
    They are truly beautiful! The guys at Enigma are spot on also.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    very elegant...
  • Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    Finding all this chat about seat posts quite ironic! I'm getting a custom frame built up and such is my combination of low flexibility and short legs I'm having to slope the top tube just to get more that 10cms of seatpost showing. It's a shame because I prefer the classic look of a horizontal top tube.
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    I have to agree, all the comments about seatpost height are tiresome (just wait till I post a pic of my bike when it's back from it's refurb). If you're comfortable on it then that's all that matters.

I bought a frame 2nd hand a few years back, it had a lower stand over height and was fractionally shorter, but it was a bargain (IMHO). After a bike fit a year ago I was told I really needed to be on a bigger frame so I decided to try and sell the frame. After some initial interest I decided not to sell, I had ridden that frame for some big miles, regular 100+ milers (the longest being a 300km). Yes I was tired but never ever did I feel beat up, uncomfortable on it. So here I am, 5 years down the line with the frame that is supposedly too small for me. Do I regret not selling and getting a larger frame? No.

Following on from the Sean Yates comment; Phillipe Gilbert rides a 54cm frame with a 140mm stem and he's 6 foot tall.
  • DB100
    It's all nonsense, what matters is that you are comfortable and injury free, end of argument!
    My last bike was a 58 Trek Madone, with 170 cranks, I'm 5' 10" with short legs and a long body, it is all about compromise, none of us ( or very few anyway ) are made perfectly. This was after a proper bike fit and much discussion, it has been my most comfortable set up so far.
    I can't remember the last time I cycled past someone and thought, wow, he's got a ton of seat post out, oh and look at that magnificent machine he's riding :D:D
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    That Gilbert comment might be a load of b0ll0cks though.............
  • DB100
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Very nice. Spec?

I much prefer the look of the new rear stays. Mine is two years old with the curved stays. I cant help but think they're the reason the bike becomes 'choppy' and skitish when sprinting. Anyway...

Enjoy it, they're great at soaking up the miles.

Forgive my ignorance, are we talking seat or chain stays? :D
    EDIT: Seat stays I think, having just looked at some older models
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Galatzo wrote:
    That really is a perch.
    Eagles nest lower !

For the record I like to see loads of seatpost showing and with an original SLR on think it looks mint so I meant no disrespect. More like envy given I'm only 5ft 7" and ride a 53cm toptube !
    But perch is the best way to describe it :wink:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    Neil.S wrote:
    I have to agree, all the comments about seatpost height are tiresome (just wait till I post a pic of my bike when it's back from it's refurb). If you're comfortable on it then that's all that matters.

I bought a frame 2nd hand a few years back, it had a lower stand over height and was fractionally shorter, but it was a bargain (IMHO). After a bike fit a year ago I was told I really needed to be on a bigger frame so I decided to try and sell the frame. After some initial interest I decided not to sell, I had ridden that frame for some big miles, regular 100+ milers (the longest being a 300km). Yes I was tired but never ever did I feel beat up, uncomfortable on it. So here I am, 5 years down the line with the frame that is supposedly too small for me. Do I regret not selling and getting a larger frame? No.

Following on from the Sean Yates comment; Phillipe Gilbert rides a 54cm frame with a 140mm stem and he's 6 foot tall.

I`m 6ft and have just bought a 55cm Raleigh Militis, could probably do with a wee bit longer stem but fit seems fine just now. My other bike is Langster in a 56cm, its a large the Raleigh a S/M??!! Geo wise there is a not much between them, top tube length is a few mm difference.
  • It's interesting reading peoples different views on bike fit. I agree that there are no hard and fast rules, and it is a totally individual thing. My bike is very comfortable the way it is set up, and if someone thinks there is a 'ridiculous amount of seatpost' showing, that's their opinion, and I'd be happy to have a look at a picture of their bike to see how it should be done.
    I think that Ergon seatpost probably performs differently depending on how much is showing, and currently it's really comfortable going over rough surfaces, and it's the right height for my long legs, so I'll be leaving it exactly where it is.
    I'm loving having a titanium bike, I've had steel, aluminium, and I've also got a few carbon bikes, but there's something about titanium that I like but I can't put my finger on, and I must say, the welding of the tubes is immaculate, and I know it will have been done in China, but apparently titanium is very hard to work with, so I appreciate some good welding. I'm hoping this frame will stand the test of time.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Thats a very very nice looking build. I'm biased as I love Enigmas and my new Etape frame should arrive today :D Its also the 2014 'straight stay' version which I agree looks far smarter than the old curved version. Somehow it looks faster and slicker.

Interesting on the seatpost as I'm having the same debate about post choice. I use Ritchey WCS carbon posts on all my other bikes but am very interested in a comfort post - where did you get this one from as they seem very hard to find?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • I hope you enjoy the new frame as much as I'm enjoying mine. I got the Ergon seatpost from Starbike, I couldn't find a supplier in the uk at all. It was expensive and a bit of a gamble, but it's turned out good, I also have a Specialized cobl goblr on a Cervelo rs, the looks will divide opinion, but it's also very comfortable, the Ergon is better though, the seat tends to rock back a little bit on the specialized, the Ergon doesn't. I have a slight disc problem in my lower back which I'm looking at getting operated on soon, hence the need for comfort at the moment.