Problem uploading Garmin to Strava

bjl
bjl Posts: 353
edited March 2014 in Road general
Usually just connect Garmin to computer and the device displays on the Strava page , but yesterday it wanted to update to Garmin Communicator Plugin , so I have downloaded it succesfully it says but now I can't get past this screen saying Upload Garmin Communicator plugin , not at all tech savvy and am stuck , can anyone help , thanks .

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    After you downloaded the plugin did you install it? If it's installed and you're using some sort of firewall/internet security you need to grant it permission to communicate with your device.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I've been having this problem for weeks and eventually found a solution with a Google search.

In IE9+, use F12 or the Settings menu to open the Developer page. Then in the Emulation page (usually the bottom icon on the left toolbar), change Document Mode to 9. This will cause the page to reload and recognise the GCP. In theory you should need to do this only once but I've found IE doesn't remember the setting and I have to do it each time on the Strava Upload page.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    People still use IE? :shock:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ^ +1
    Never use IE!
    You can always manually upload an activity from your device to Strava without needing a plugin etc, just treat your device as a memory stick.
  • you're not getting a "bar" appear at the top / bottom of your browser window asking if you want to run the Garmin Communicator browser plugin are you?
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    I abandoed Firefox partly down to this. Chrome and many other browsers work fine for uploading.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I had this problem with my 305.

I did a factory reset and it started working again.
  • bjl
    How do I use it as a memory stick , still can't upload .
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    bjl wrote:
    How do I use it as a memory stick , still can't upload .

Select the option upload, from the four options now available of the lhs of the page choose "from file", now choose "browse" in the dialogue box that opens navigate to your actvities folder either on the garmins own internal memory or the micro sd card if you have one and have chosen to save your activities there. Pick the relevant "fit" file.
    Viola bobs your fathers brother or something like that.
  • bjl
    Thanks for the help guys, used Google Chrome for first time and the Garmin Communicator Plugin uploaded straight away and rides now uploading .
  • SlinkyJ
    SlinkyJ Posts: 20
    bjl wrote:
    Thanks for the help guys, used Google Chrome for first time and the Garmin Communicator Plugin uploaded straight away and rides now uploading .

Well this is strange, I had to install IE whatever it is on now as Chrome wouldn't work when trying to upload to Strava, just sits there stuck partly uploading.

Maybe I need to try again?
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    bjl wrote:
    I also used Chrome for the first time last night. I had to accept the prompt to run the plugin, then reload page, but it worked fine and I won't go back to IE.

This is definitely a better solution than Load From File, which took multiple page reloads on IE to get it working.