Advice on this chain guide?

Red Turbo
Red Turbo Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am looking to buy a low price chain guide and have seen this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bio ... 2-ec040588

Is that anygood, mean I have read some reviews; some people say they are good and others no. Is there any others ones that are decent and worth it?

I have just brought this bike today from eBay: http://www.scott-sports.com/de/en/produ ... ct-930-s/#

What do you think?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do you actually need a chain guide?
  • Well yeah, I'm using the bike for off road mountain biking? I dont want the chain bashing all over the place.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    Do you actually need a chain guide?

If your riding that bike hard enough to require a chain guide, you've got some bottle imo. save the money and put it towards a new fork for when it dies.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • I have only just got into mountain biking as I use to be a BMX rider.
    And really don't know much about mountain biking, so I wouldn't need a chain guide??, its just I have had mountain bikes in the past and I always remember the chain smacking the frame and coming off all the time?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Ride it. See how you get on. If the chain comes off a lot ask the question again. Just make sure you've got a neoprene chain stay protector or on old inner tube wrapped around your chain stay.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You have a chain guide - the front mech, and a chain tensioner - the rear mech.
    If the chain comes off all the time, adjust it properly, and if it's hitting the chainstay, wrap some inner tube around it, or get a chainstay protector.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I am going to ride it and see how it goes, thanks for the input and advice guys!

Would you think handle bar tape with be good to act as a chain stay??
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Bartape works but tears pretty easily and won't last long. An old innertube, split, wrapped and zip-tied at the ends works best imo.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Inner tubes are better than neoprene protectors
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    In what way exactly? Cost is the only thing I can come up with.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The don't tear as easily or wear.
  • Chunkers1980
    That's not exactly true is it.

Mine's 8 years old and has a little new stitching but is still going strong.

The bodged from an inner tube one I have has had countless new tubes and cable ties as it slips all over the place and then they are too short - you could say it was like Trigger's broom.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You must have better quality chainstay protectors than I have had.
    I find that a single innertube is more than enough and I have never had to replace one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm still using the neoprene protector that came free in an MBUK about 4 years ago......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would be embarrassed to have an MBUK logo on my bike. I would rather have a Cottaging Weekly chain stay protector.
  • Chunkers1980
    I'd think the writing will have worn off by now though.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I couldn't care less how my bikes look. It's all about how they ride. My Scalp rides exactly how I want it to and my Mega will once the shock has been tuned.
    Oh Really?
    I would be embarrassed to have an MBUK logo on my bike. I would rather have a Cottaging Weekly chain stay protector.
    So that's because the Cottaging Weekly one has better functioning properties eh? :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    I couldn't care less how my bikes look. It's all about how they ride. My Scalp rides exactly how I want it to and my Mega will once the shock has been tuned.
    Oh Really?
    So that's because the Cottaging Weekly one has better functioning properties eh? :wink:

Yes, they reinforce the glory hole.
  • Chunkers1980
    All it does is reinforce the shite that comes from your bottom
  • aldo56
    aldo56 Posts: 4
    I've got one of those chain guides on my hardtail, works a treat! I used to have problems dropping my chain but i've yet to drop it since fitting.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    All it does is reinforce the shite that comes from your bottom

Like fibre?