Trail riding within an hour's drive of London?

Henwood
Henwood Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi all,

Looking for somewhere not too long a drive from London (hour and a half max) where there is some good, fast trail riding to be had. I'm on a 'cross so looking for a happy medium that isn't road, but doesn't require a MTB. Don't mind getting a bit muddy*. Ideally somewhere with a circular route of up to 80k, but not vital that it's circular.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Will

*like getting quite muddy.

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Epping Forest has a lot of trails. It's within the M25 and has a multitude of paths running through and around it.

There are 100s or rides downloadable from the GPS route website of your choosing.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    If sorts of depends where you're starting from in London I guess. If south-ish, it's not too far to Lingfield Park racecourse. Just south east of there is a whole load of woodland including a stretch of the Surrey/Sussex borderpath which is great for biking.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plenty if you head in the Southwest direction - from Hindhead, Surrey you can ride on the Northdowns or all the way to the coast. There's also the Downslink from Guildford which takes you all the way to the coast or you can pick-up the Southdowns way (bit more than 80k though). Best get the local OS map or download some routes from Bikely.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Some decent bridleway riding to the north west around Wendover if memory serves me
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Swinley Forest in Bracknell is good fun and is easily done on a cross bike.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg