Lower back pain

www777
www777 Posts: 48
Hi
When riding uphill I get lower back pain around the waist area. If on the flat or slight incline I have no issues with back. I do regular core exercises and stretching plus last year had a proper bike fit. Is there anything I could be doing wrong or extra exercise/stretching that could help or a bike issue?.

Many thanks

Comments

• mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Sounds like you're doing a lot of the supporting exercise that help deal with the common causes of lower back pain.

What sort of cadence are you turning when you climb? Are you pushing a big gear slowly, or spinning at a reasonably high RPM? Straining against a lot of resistance could be a factor.
  • www777
    www777 Posts: 48
    mikenetic wrote:
    Sounds like you're doing a lot of the supporting exercise that help deal with the common causes of lower back pain.

What sort of cadence are you turning when you climb? Are you pushing a big gear slowly, or spinning at a reasonably high RPM? Straining against a lot of resistance could be a factor.

Low gears small ring and big sprocket on back and cadence around 70/80. Also thinking about this I ride the same route on my winter bike and no pain, but first ride out on summer bike and got back pain so could be bike set up. Although both been prof setup???.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    www777 wrote:
    mikenetic wrote:

Low gears small ring and big sprocket on back and cadence around 70/80. Also thinking about this I ride the same route on my winter bike and no pain, but first ride out on summer bike and got back pain so could be bike set up. Although both been prof setup???.
    Have you measured the bikes to see if they are identical in terms of set-up ie reach, saddle position over the bottom bracket, saddle height, crank length, bar width, etc. If they aren't identical and the problem only occurs on the summer bike, I'd be tempted to firstly record the positions and measurements of the summer bike and then make any necessary adjustments to it so that both bikes are actually identical.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    www777 wrote:
    mikenetic wrote:

Have you measured the bikes to see if they are identical in terms of set-up ie reach, saddle position over the bottom bracket, saddle height, crank length, bar width, etc. If they aren't identical and the problem only occurs on the summer bike, I'd be tempted to firstly record the positions and measurements of the summer bike and then make any necessary adjustments to it so that both bikes are actually identical.

I would do the same. Luckily you have a bike that fits you well to copy.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been cycling since my teens, but I increasingly need to keep-up with the core exercises and stretching - my transversus abdominus (TVA) in particular needs attention. I'd recommend Tom Danielson's Core Advantage book - it's specifically developed for cyclists
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    I've been cycling since my teens, but I increasingly need to keep-up with the core exercises and stretching - my transversus abdominus (TVA) in particular needs attention. I'd recommend Tom Danielson's Core Advantage book - it's specifically developed for cyclists

What he said. :wink:
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Until the remedial exercises kick in rub a pain releiving cream on your back before setting out.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.