whats your ftp.

deanhepworth
deanhepworth Posts: 15
Thought this might make a good topic.
So ive just got a power meter done my first ftp test.
So my head is now filled with all things related to training with power.
So whats your current ftp?
How long have you been training?
What type of racing do you . If you race?
What weight you are right now ?
And what do you focus your training on?

So here mine.
Ftp 285.
Started cycling in july. Training since november. Using joe friels training bible.
Going to be racing tli events this year mainly road races
currently weigh 74 kilos.

Sorry if this is inappropriate or in the wrong forum

and I have baised my training on all aspects really to get fit and see what I need to focus on when I race

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If you've just got a powermeter, the last thing you should've done is an FTP test, or started reading about training with power. Ride your bike lots and look at power numbers.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    You will get loads of replies on this about how FTP means very little in racing, and I tend to agree. Here are my numbers

295 FTP
    62kg
    training for 3 years, own a power meter for 11 months.
    Mostly flat critiriums as a amateur. Roughly the same as a 2nd cat in the UK. Sometimes get to Belgium for more suitable races for my skills.
    Focus comes in blocks. FTP to Vo2 to anaerobic. Just started a block of 1min intervals. But a lot of training comes from entering local crits.
    Goal is to move to elite races, but mostly in Belgium and see how I go.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • markwb79
    jibberjim wrote:
    If you've just got a powermeter, the last thing you should've done is an FTP test, or started reading about training with power. Ride your bike lots and look at power numbers.

And there is the first one. But this is 100% brilliant advice, its exactly what I did when I got my power meter. I just rode and raced with it. My first idea of my FTP came after 2 months of owning it.

Also, the training bible is good. I read it a lot over 18 months, but with a power meter I find the 'Training and racing with a power meter' book is brilliant. But only after I have been using it and seen some of my numbers.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • I do agree that ftp doesn't mean alot in racing. And im looking foward to actually seing what I do when racing. And gauging my ftp from that data. Again not that it really matters. But it does help with training.

Im going to get a copy of training and racing with power because I find that although in the training bible joe recomends using power for intervals and sprints. He's not all that clear on the zones.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    About tree-fiddy
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • jibberjim
    I do agree that ftp doesn't mean alot in racing. And im looking foward to actually seing what I do when racing. And gauging my ftp from that data. Again not that it really matters. But it does help with training.

This is why you shouldn't be caring about FTP, because you think it helps with training!

That's not to say it might not, but even that's debateable, but the problem comes with your chance of happening on the method that leads to your best FTP prediction with little experience of how you ride with power is very unlikely. Combine that with the different power profiles of individuals and if you start picking percentages of FTP as a target for training you're very likely to be way off from the actual intention of the session.

Until you know a lot more about your own power profile and how to elicit the best powers, then just riding a lot on PE and seeing what your numbers are, are a lot more meaningful. Also asking FTP on a forum is pretty meaningless as there's lots of ways to estimate it, I analysed a lot of strava data, and not one person had actually achieved the FTP they stated for 60 minute AP.
  • From what I understood from the training bible training with power would be better for intervals. Where once id worked my power zones out I could target that instead of doing the interval and building my heart rate up. So id be bang on right away .
    but I am here to listen to people opinions to get a better idea. Like I said im new to power
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Conversely I do longer intervals/long rides more based on HR and short intervals I use power as a guide. Sprints and intervals up to 1 min are flat out so they are what they are. I use the pm to measure progress as much as anything.
    HOWEVER, it's ace for analysing race performance.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ongej
    ongej Posts: 118
    I am not so sure about absolute ftp being meaning little in racing. My ftp is about 250, weight about 60kg, and unless I can raise it to 300watts, I am limited to having to race smart to win, an attack-solo-win will never be possible, unless it is a hilly finish. In flat crits, if I ever go to the front, it won't be long before someone shouts for the pace to be lifted, despite me going pretty near vo2max...

ftp: 250-255watts, weight: 60-61kg, racing: crits (not by choice really), training proper for about 1 year (so there may be hope raising ftp further), training style: weekly race (best intervals session ever), steady rides up to 2 hours almost every day, vo2max or sprint intervals after an easy and relaxing day.

I have found noticable increase in ftp after participating regularly in races, compared to flogging myself with only sweet-spot, ftp and vo2max intervals.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    FTP on its own is pointless and merely a number. How good an FTP is depends on your weight and a more important number is watts/kg.

Also different power meters may give different results as there is all are accurate to a percentage or two.

My watts/kg on my power meter is 4.18.
  • jibberjim
    ongej wrote:
    I have found noticable increase in ftp after participating regularly in races, compared to flogging myself with only sweet-spot, ftp and vo2max intervals.

So surely that has told you that your "sweet-spot, ftp and vo2max intervals" is not the right training for you and you need to try something else, particularly if you felt you were flogging yourself doing that. This is actually the real useful thing about power meters, not that you can pick some arbitrary percentage of some other arbitrary number, but that you can actually measure if it worked or not, and adjust until it does.

My FTP has varied from 3.9 ish to 4.5 ish w/kg at between 72 and 77 kg's, right now it's near the bottom of both of those, I can be just about competitive in a 3rd cat race when at the right ends of those...
  • ongej
    ongej Posts: 118
    ftp on its own is pointless on hills, here watts/kg rules, but on the flat, absolute power is what that is needed to go fast due to air resistance. So on hilly races, people with high w/kg will win. But on flat races, you could have high w/kg but lower ftp, and you will be at the mercy of high ftp racers (with potentially lower w/kg).
  • napoleond
    Since doing a lot more track riding and little work on my FTP I have been doing a lot better, I have better recovery between the surges and race much smarter.
    I did my first road bike race in 3 years a couple of weeks ago with a w/kg of 2.5ish and finished at the sharp end.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jibberjim
    ongej wrote:
    But on flat races, you could have high w/kg but lower ftp, and you will be at the mercy of high ftp racers (with potentially lower w/kg).

Of course, except that plenty of people winning crits that are small, taking advantage of their lower CdA, their better acceleration, their better skills, their short term power etc. So no someone with a 4.1 w/kg FTP at 60kg isn't going to do well in a break in a crit, indeed tbh 250watts and 4.1w/kg isn't really enough to get you very active in many races in the UK at any level if that's the only thing in your power profile (ie you don't bring a high 1 minute power or something that does let you win crits, just not from a solo or small group break.)

And yes someone with 350watts and 3w/kg will have a higher chance on a flat race, but you race with what you have...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    9054_Cancellara_DROPS_Boonen_Muur_cw_PhSptsm.jpg

Could have done with something more here ;-)

I do agree though.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • napoleond
    Have a look at the watts on this, like I said, first race in 3 yrs after a long hiatus of injury and illness.
    Nowt steady anywhere, almost like an on-off switch. My FTP is 232 here, at 91kg. Yet I still managed to (just about) hang on and finished strong although I didn't get involved at the end fighting for points, it was more done as a test to see where I was.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/GKNTYDZ ... 3TSTO3N5UI
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Have a look at the watts on this, like I said, first race in 3 yrs after a long hiatus of injury and illness.
    Nowt steady anywhere, almost like an on-off switch. My FTP is 232 here, at 91kg. Yet I still managed to (just about) hang on and finished strong although I didn't get involved at the end fighting for points, it was more done as a test to see where I was.

Cheers for sharing. Are you racing at blackpool this weekend?

So having a higher ftp is always going to be a benefit until you come to hills and watts per kilo matters more.
    But id have thought that pretty obvious anyway really. Q

What type of training to you lot do then?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Approx 250 W, for 61kg.

Which means that I am useless on the flat into a headwind, but can leave most behind on the climbs, (especially with a tail wind!)

When flat out, I try to find the biggest guy and sit behind him, and when I have to go to the front, get myself as low and aero as possible*, and grin and bear it!

*The big guys behind me say they get no draft off me!
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

Cheers for sharing. Are you racing at blackpool this weekend?

So having a higher ftp is always going to be a benefit until you come to hills and watts per kilo matters more.
    But id have thought that pretty obvious anyway really. Q

What type of training to you lot do then?

Lancaster Saturday.

Fwiw my ftp must be one of the lowest there and I'm one of the biggest.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • markwb79
    BrandonA wrote:
    FTP on its own is pointless and merely a number. How good an FTP is depends on your weight and a more important number is watts/kg.

Also different power meters may give different results as there is all are accurate to a percentage or two.

I'm not quite sure how you can possibly even dream of the idea that absolute FTP isn't important.

I dont think anyone said it wasnt important. Everyone is saying that it isnt the most important thing.

I have two friends that have the same FTP and the same weight. One will never win or get close to winning a race where as the other has a very good chance of doing well. So much more to it than FTP, thats what people are saying.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • okgo
    In the uk I'd say its probably more important than w/kg. But as said, racing smart/well is worth a fair chunk of watts! You think Cav had the best w/kg in the nationals? No way. He just had the biggest wallet to pay the others off :D
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • markwb79
    BrandonA wrote:

I sort of agree, it more depends on the type of racing that you do. On the flat in Holland I am at such a disadvantage in pure power numbers and the results show that. But I probably have one of the higher watts/kg. Go to Belgium and its completely the opposite.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • okgo
    Is it? Care to explain the reason Contador has not won Flanders then? Rather its the 80kg club of late that have won there...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    As an 80kg rider this is music to my ears - looking forward to Flanders in a week or two!

My FTP is (was) around 325W, putting me at just over 4 w/kg. I would've thought a high w/kg number becomes increasingly valuable the bigger you are?

Done a 12 week training plan since last measured FTP so it may have increased a bit - will re-measure next week.
  • okgo
    More watts preferable in most situations here I would think. Longest hill I recall racing up was circa 5 mins, 1kg in absoloute terms costs you around 3 seconds up Box Hill a smart man once told me. I.e bugger all!

I'm around 5/wkg and not that light, it's probably a better combo than having the same w/kg and being 60kg on many UK courses I would imagine. Though caveat is as above, racing well allows people to punch above their station.
  • Will be interested to re- test shortly.

Improvements over the winter, a structured plan etc mean my ftp improved to 300w but now im able to hold 270w for over two hours and although this was tough it wasnt flat out.

This seems a long time at sweetspot so im hoping this will be reflected in an improved 20 min test? Or is it possible that my training means top end power remains the same whilst my ability to hold 88-90% ftp has improved on its own.

The training is aimed at the shorter distance TT's.
  • okgo
    Your FTP is wrong