Road bike ,flat bars, womens geometry and saddle?

abirtwis
abirtwis Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Women's cycling forum
Aiming to get the other half out on tarmac this year but does not want drop bars! Need lots a gears, comfy saddle, etc etc...she has a very heavy 26 inch wheeled mountain bike with hybrid tyres but finding it useless/ hard wor on road..
Budget below £700 or am i dreaming....?new or last years model.. Aint fussed, just need to cover longer distance along with me without pain... Advice please.

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Why flat bars, may I ask?
  • abirtwis
    I asked the same! I am Not having drop bars was the answer!! New to cycling so she insists they must be flat... :x
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    While not wanting to sound condescending (to you or her), have you explained that having drops doesn't mean that you have to ride in the drops all the time? The good thing about road handlebars, for me, is the variety of hand positions that they offer.
  • abirtwis
    I know, but she wants flat bars! Any bikes out there??
  • So my first road bike was a Specialized Dolce Elite. It really is super comfy, from position to Saddle. Now, it does have drop handle bars, but I know they do a hybrid version that doesn't, which basically looks like the same bike but has flat handle bars... I know they are a big brand, so you may get more for your money else where.

I think the best thing to do is pop to a bike shop and do some testing! you may even be able to persuade her to get drops!!
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • abirtwis
    Thanks for suggestion.. Price seems fine too.£500 ish Think its now called a 'vita sport'. 13 and 14 models are out there!
  • nuggiebok
    nuggiebok Posts: 63
    Giant do a women's specific flat bar hybrid too. I can't remember what it is called but I nearly went for it over my Avail, but the bars are still quite wide for my liking. I'm glad I went for drops, once I too learned that you can ride on the hoods!
  • abirtwis
    Also looking at Boardman hybrid sport FI . Good old halfords though, you cant view the bike! Lord i hate that store/ staff.. What was chris thinking??