Body Composition Analysis gadget

badgerbeaver
badgerbeaver Posts: 102
Has anyone used one of these Withings Body Analyzers? It looks like a set of scales with other gadgetry plugged in. But is it any good? Or is it just a gimmick or worse?

Any good? Your opnions highly valued, as ever, thanks.

http://www.withings.com/en/bodyanalyzer

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Best way to measure body fat outside of a pod thing is calipers.

After that you are best off jumping up and down in front of the mirror whilst naked and seeing how much wobbles*

*preferably at home. I'm now banned from all branches of Marks and Spencer.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • :-)

most amusing and informative kind sir, thank you

not actually thinking of buying it, but a mate has one and I was trying to work out how it would work, or if it's like one of those bomb detectors that that charlatan sold to the army...
  • napoleond
    They measure through electrical resistance. It's massively skewed by your hydration levels.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    That Withings one is very expensive but then it does do several extras over and above measuring body fat through electrical resistance.

I bought a considerably cheaper Tanita 2001 several years ago as I needed a new set of bathroom scales. It works well and is consistent as long as you check your weight and body fat at around the same time each day and several hours after a meal.

The body fat percentage readout is no doubt different to what you would get with calipers pinching your skin but is a useful indication to your level of fitness. For example, I measure around 16 per cent around Christmas and early New Year and get down to 12 per cent after my return from a cycle touring holiday in the Alps. When I'm fit and fully trained in the summer and autumn (I'm a competitive runner) I stay at 13 per cent.

Just had a quick look at Amazon and Tanita's current similar models are £32 to £42.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    As with many things, the Rainmaker review is very good on these devices in general. The results made me think I'll take my chances in M&S :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I've got the Omron body composition monitor which was not expensive and I needed general body weight scales for the home anyway. Although I do agree that the results can fluctuate to a minimum discrepancy depending on hydration levels, it is good enough for an amateur to be able to see if loss/gains are being made or not.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • napoleond
    Hmmm. Mine are all over the shop.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    We had a company come into work and do an analysis with a shiny machine. It got a fairly close number to what my £5.99 calipers got. I looked it up and it cost about £2000.

I have a set of bathroom type scales that measure, and they're woeful.

Calipers + Fat % Plot Trendline is the way to go.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Excellent, thank you. You have just saved me from myself (I am a sucker for a gadget). Won't be splashing out.

Come to think of it, the tightness of clothing is a good indicator of progress, belts in particular.
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    I was going to splash out on a Tanita bc-1000, quite expensive, as I liked to idea of it connecting, via Ant+, to the Garmin 800 and Garmin connect to measure body stats in relation to bike performance. Looked more deeply and wasn't sure if there was any real value in the reliability of the stats vs price.

The jump up and down and review wobble status is better as you can see how lean ( or not ) you are. Body weight and shape will vary slightly during the day depending on what has been consumed so clothes tightness can be slightly misleading over a day, long term is different. I bought a really nice slim tailored shirt a few years back, tried it on about 7 months ago and I could not even do up the buttons ( had time off after a crash ) - I had to get back in to structured training to loose that flab.
  • dzp1
    dzp1 Posts: 54
    Body Composition Analysis gadget

Porlock Hill ?
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    dw300 wrote:
    We had a company come into work and do an analysis with a shiny machine. It got a fairly close number to what my £5.99 calipers got. I looked it up and it cost about £2000.

I have a set of bathroom type scales that measure, and they're woeful.

Calipers + Fat % Plot Trendline is the way to go.

Agree with that - if you use calipers & follow the instructions properly they are really consistent, and can show quite small changes.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Do calipers works for both subcutaneous and visceral fat? I'm coming from a position of ignorance as to the ratio of the two fat stores though I understand visceral is more harmful.

Personally, I think the simple methods are best - my belt, as a long-term tracker, is great - though may not be sensitive enough for racing snakes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH