Which frame size Whyte 650b 901 / 905

OceanOne
OceanOne Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Any owners out there who can tell me what size they went for ? I am 5'9 with short legs and longer body and have tried both the medium and small out. Both feel ok. According to the Whyte sizing chart I should be buying a medium but with the small I felt I was riding it quicker and could pull the front up easier. Thing is according to the sizing chart the small is for a maximum height of 5'6 which makes me think I would be wrong to go for that size even though it felt ok. Don't want to get it wrong as it would not be a cheap mistake! Any help appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• SW94
    SW94 Posts: 4
    It's all about what feels right for you, I've always had bikes that should be too small for me. I'm 6'3" and until recently was riding a 17" bike and although it felt a bit small I got on with it well.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I have a medium 2012 905 (similar) and I'm a shade under 5'9'' with 31'' inside leg. It fits me very well: for me M was the right decision. I think I could ride a small but might need to lengthen the stem by 10mm and certainly move the saddle back a bit - 'might' not be quite as comfy over distance. Go with your gut though. You may well be on the cusp. If in doubt though, then medium.

Also look at Winstanleys bikes for big discounts on older Whytes (not 27.5 though).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • SW94
    SW94 Posts: 4
    passout wrote:
    Also look at Winstanleys bikes for big discounts on older Whytes (not 27.5 though).

I've been eyeing the 2012 905, 2012 19 and 2013 901 for some time now.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    My choice was between the steel 19 2012 and 905 2012 - I went for the 905 (for riding in the Lakes) and made the right decision. The low weight really brings it alive for me coming from a steel bike & it also seems very comfortable (not too rigid on the long descents). 19 is a nice bike too of course - all good choices.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.