Nukeproof Mega Build - Finished Pics!

harrybarfield
harrybarfield Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Just a quick thread of my build so far. It's been a slow build as I got this frame in January second hand from Pink Bike. I've been buying bits and pieces each month and fitting them as I go along to keep the costs managable. I managed to get a set of ex-demo Pikes from Planet X for £350 which now look mint after touching up one rub mark on the crown. I got a set of Pro 2's on Crests for £180 which are also mint and last week I ordered a full brand new XT drivetrain from CRC. My Mrs kindly brought me a Renthal Duo stem and Fatbar Lite bars so all I really need now are brakes (going to get Hope tech 3 X2's) and a dropper post, although I will run a standard in the mean time just so I can have a go! I've also got Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic's to try and get working with tubeless which is going to be fun!

This is my first full suss and first build so it's going to take a bit of getting used to. I'm also being terribly unfashionable and have gone 2 x 10 with a clutched rear mech as although I'm fairly fit I ride in places where you really need it and I don't do pushing!

Anyway here it as it stands, I'm thinking of de-stickering the frame though and just having it raw.

photo4-3.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo21-2.jpg

photo11-3.jpg

Comments

• brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Thats going to be one real nice bike when its finished, bet you can't wait. Seems like you've an eye for a bargain.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    Looks very nice, I've been recently reading some good things about the mega's never really heard much before.
    I wouldn't worry about the 2 x 10 i run a 2 x 9!!
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Man those pikes were good value! Please keep us updated as the build progress
  • I have to admit I thought the forks looked too good to be true at that price and a bit 'dogey'. They had been on ebay about 20 minutes but then I realised the seller was planet X so just snatched them at that price!

I seem to have fallen on some bargains to be honest, I got a Trailstar Hans and a Pacestar Nic for £35 the pair too!

I was a bit unsure wether to go from 2 x 9 (current bike, 456 evo) to 1 x 10 on this, then I went out on a very muddy ride over Baggeridge and it would have been miserable without the back up gears. As it turned out it was one of th best rides I've been on in the last few years so I decided 2x10 was the way to go. I can deal with carrying around the extra few grams if it means a more versatile bike.

I really want to de-sticker as seeing this:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/milan ... etup,24491

But I've heard the adhesive is a real git to get off! I'm also a bit concerned that when I do remove them as it's a used frame there may be abrasions around the decals giving an outline of where they once were!
  • brucie45
    I'm on 2x10 and I've never bothered to change it, its nice to know that if I need it then I have it. I too don't mind the extra grams. I would leave it stickered, but that just preference. Looking forward to seeing the full build

PS - seeing as you have an eye for a bargian where did you get the Renthal stem & bars?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Nice bike- get it raw
  • The bar and stem were the one thing I paid retail on so far. Went to leisure lakes to get them but as said, the Mrs paid! Think CRC are the cheapest for them though mate!
  • brucie45
    The bar and stem were the one thing I paid retail on so far. Went to leisure lakes to get them but as said, the Mrs paid! Think CRC are the cheapest for them though mate!

Thanks for that mate, I'll have a browse around then, that or get the Mrs to pay for mine :lol:
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Thatll be nice when done im surprised you went for the crest wheels though they are more xc and this looks like more of an enduro build .
    I managed to kill a crest in the alps but then im 14st and tend to ride through stuff .

The frame looks great id leave it as is.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice. I like the older Nukeproof frames. They just feel indestructible.
    This should be good when it's finished. The ultra light xc rims are an odd choice for a burly all mountain bike.
  • Yeah in hindsight the Crests probably are a bit lightweight for the bike, stans put them as 'trail' rims with lighter weight ones for true XC. I was trying to build it up as light weight as possible without taking away what the bike is for too much. That's why I went for the Pikes being one of the lightest 160 forks and the XT drivetrain as for the money it makes sense. Not much more than SLX but a bit lighter but just as durable. I wanted 2 X 10 so Zee wasn't an option. I did a fair bit of research on the wheels and heard of a lot of guys running Crests in the Alps, I figured I'm only 10 st and no Dan Atherton so they should be fine! If not, the Hubs are fine and ill just make the switch to Flows! I also know a guy with the same frame (albeit the M not the S) running an identical wheel set up with no issues over Stile Cop and he has considerably more pace than me!

I started de-stickering last night. The swing arm is now raw and I've took the ones off the underside of the down tube and where the seat tube joins the top tube and it's looking much better. Someone once counted over 50 instances of the word 'Nukeproof' on these frames from new!

My Stans no tubes kit arrived yesterday so this weekend will probably involve much swearing trying to get them to seal!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    50 Nukeproof logos? Is that all?
    72 on my Scalp when it still had the Nukeproof rims and bars. I counted while waiting for a lift to A&E, not much else to do!
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Looks a really nice build!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    How are your thumbs after de stickering? :D
  • Blistered actually! VERY SORE!

I've been busy over the weekend. I got my first ever tubeless set up working, although having a bit of a nightmare with the rear. There is a small gash (5-8mm) next to one of the tread blocks clearly from a thorn when being run tubed. When the tread block is bumped like when i bounce the wheel off the floor the gap hisses sealant out :( I've left it a day now and no pressure has been lost over night, but ill have to stress test it to see if the sealant has fixed it enough or I may have to experiment with tubeless repair kits.

Anyhow I've fitted the cable outer runs and inners/shifters, although they are just masking taped to the bars to keep them out of the way as they are the i-specB shifters. I fitted the chain and oddly didn't seem to need shortening? Will test once the gears are indexed I guess.

My main issue now is that I think I made a mistake with removing all of the decals. It just looks bland at the moment :(

photo2.jpg

What do you think? For comparison below is a pic before I removed the two main down tube decals and the top tube one. No biggie as I can get replacments from CRC for £19 but i'd only be putting the two above mentioned decals on, not the full set!

photo2-1.jpg

I did whack a couple of hope stickers on and I do think it looks much better though....

photo3-3.jpg

Opinions welcome!

Ta,

Harry.

Any opinions welcome
  • brucie45
    Preffered it with the decals as above, good to see it built up though. Bet its an awsome ride!
  • Yeah I've definitely got to order some replacements. they are only £18 from CRC though and the old ones weren't perfect condition wise so at least it will look fresh.

I wouldn't know how it rides, other than an embarrassing run down the garden that ended with me colliding with the garage (it just jumped out on me) I've not ridden it. Next run will be with brakes! Roll on payday on Friday!
  • brucie45
    Yeah I've definitely got to order some replacements. they are only £18 from CRC though and the old ones weren't perfect condition wise so at least it will look fresh.

I wouldn't know how it rides, other than an embarrassing run down the garden that ended with me colliding with the garage (it just jumped out on me) I've not ridden it. Next run will be with brakes! Roll on payday on Friday!

Don't know whats worse, me not seeing the brakes are'nt on yet or you crashing knowing you had no brakes :lol:
  • Me crashing I fear! I thought I'll just roll off that wall see what a FS feels like and I carried more speed than intended.
    Just ordered a decal set, ODI grips and Saint pedals! That REALLY is all the spending done with this months money until Friday. Going for Hope Tech 3 levers with X2 callipers and braided hoses! I will then have a ridable (and stop-able) bike finally! Only plans after that are a dropper post but I'll ride it for a month as is first.
  • harrybarfield
    harrybarfield Posts: 35
    edited March 2014
    Also meant to say weight wise it's lighter than my On one 456 evo so I'm farily pleased! I know I have another 700 grams to add for brakes but its noticeable by just picking the two up side by side. I was a bit worried about weight because I don't do pushing generally but so far so good. Will weigh it properly once finished.
  • Well this weekend I finally managed to fit the rest of the parts and get the bike finished. Hope braided hoses were a pain to shorten, but learnt a lot from the first one and the second was easier! I am sending the shock off for a service this week and I still need to fine tune the gears, but it's ridable and I've took it down some steps! Chain also needs shortening and the KMC link is ridiculous to remove, so I've ordered a set of removers from Halfords of all places!

I was really unsure when I took the decals off if I had made a mistake, so much so I ordered a new set, but I'm now returning them as I think it looks great!

photo4-4.jpg

photo3-4.jpg

photo21-3.jpg

photo11-4.jpg

photo21copy.jpg

photo11copy.jpg
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nice bike, put the stickers back on...
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Love it!

Looks really good without the stickers! More industrial looking.
  • photo5-2.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

30DEFD6D-9C47-435A-892A-9D33EB056E26.jpg
    80100A35-E2F8-4D4E-8D58-4731D20995A2.jpg

268F2F00-7B8F-44CB-806F-DC8EEFB29FC3.jpg

Hopefully the pictures are the correct way around now!
  • moltryn
    moltryn Posts: 37
    The bike looks superb, well done on the patience waiting to put it all together/to ride.. lovely build and worth the wait! Health to ride dude!
    Just my preference.. but put the top- and down-tube decals back on :)
    2012 GT Fury 2.0
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0
    2009 GT XCR 5.0
    2007 GT Aggressor 1.0
    2009 GT Tour
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 3.0