Newbie bike buying help!! Please :) x

Charlbait
Charlbait Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I have the option of having one of the two following bikes..I've decided to get a mountain bike in the hope of getting fitter.. So it's not for serious mountain biking.. Just general enjoyment. I'm strapped for cash and I can either of these for £45. I like the look of both but haven't ever heard of the makes and can't really find anything ok the internet

So any help for you guys would be great, as to which one is the better bike
The one just has 'Skedaddle' on it and the other one is a 'mountain ridge' are any of these decent?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Charlotte x

Comments

• pics of bikes attached :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both aren't really designed for off road, are imitation mountain bikes really, but will be ok for general pottering about.

Go with what fits best. Make sure they are in good condition too. I'd keep an eye for others though, without suspension as will be much lighter and less to go wrong.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    There is very little to choose between these 2 bikes. Neither is going to be a great experience riding, or particularly durable. In the politest possible way, I think you would benefit from saving a little longer, upping your budget and finding something with no suspension at all.
  • oh ok.. thanksfor the advice though guys.. im not into it seriously, it will literally just be pleasure riding..slowly lol.. i have a bad back so i figured the dual suspension would be better.. is it not a great thing to go for?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Full suspension bikes of this level will more than likely just be bouncy and potentially make your back worse with clunking on any big bumps. I managed to pick up an old steel rigid mountain bike from eBay for £10 for my brother in law, lasted him a year of riding 12 miles a day to work. That's your best bet.
  • RyC
    RyC Posts: 25
    i would just get a normal bike if you just potter, as mentioned earlier it will be lighter and less to go wrong.
    Think decathlon have bikes starting from around 90 quid so may be worthsaving a while longer and taking a look at them or buying a second hand bike
  • Diddly
    Diddly Posts: 35
    Avoid these Bike Shaped Objects (BSOs). Look for something without rear suspension at all. It will be lighter and for the same price have better components hopefully and so will last longer.

http://tinyurl.com/ltr25go - has been reduced by 50% to £130.
    Santa Cruz Solo Alloy 2014.
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010.

You don't know Diddly!