How long before a ride to eat breakfast?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
So - if I'm doing 75 (old money) on Sunday, I'll need a decent brekkie. Porridge already lined up.

But how far ahead of the ride should I eat it?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    SecretSam wrote:
    So - if I'm doing 75 (old money) on Sunday, I'll need a decent brekkie. Porridge already lined up.

An hour is fine.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    yes, i'd agree with DavidJB. an hour should be fine. i assume you have your on ride snacks sorted too. i love the fabulous baking boys flapjacks as i dont like gels and 'energy' bars.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I always base it on my toilet needs. So after a decent breakfast, fruit juice and a coffee, I'll need to go to the toilet about 45 mins later. Once done then I'm ready to ride. Wouldn't want to be out on a long ride and get the need to go.

Generally speaking though, any time between 30mins and an hour later would be fine. I use the time to potter about, make sure I have everything packed correctly, bike lubed and hydrating myself as I'm pottering about.

We are all different though and you'll find your own routine and what works best for you.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    yes, i'd agree with DavidJB. an hour should be fine. i assume you have your on ride snacks sorted too. i love the fabulous baking boys flapjacks as i dont like gels and 'energy' bars.

Just cracking on with one of those at the moment. Love them!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I always try and get it in 2 hours before hand.....
    Insert bike here:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I don't have time to hang around for a 9am bike ride. Its just an oat-so-simple porridge sachet for me then out the door (probably after a comfort break...). I do have 10-15 min ride to where we group and then leave 10-15mins after that, so my breakkie gets a chance to settle before we start off proper.

This morning had the same sachet porridge immediately before leaving for work at 6am, and it was 38 miles in today. Then had a cooked brekkie at 9am at the work cafe :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    DavidJB wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

An hour is fine.

My mother always said that I would get a cramp and drown if I went swimming less than an hour after I had eaten.
    I'm guessing she would have said the same about cycling(without the drowning).
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If you're going to be starting out at a reasonably aggressive pace I'd allow at least an hour. If you'll be setting out at a fairly gentle pace it's not too critical.
    I usually get up, have breakfast, then take my time getting changed and getting the bike out. By the time I'm on the road it's at least 30mins after breakfast and that works fine. I'll take it easy for another 30 mins after starting out before doing any sprints or aggressive climbs, etc. If I'm doing a sportive or duathlon where I'll be pushing hard from the start then I'll allow at least 90mins and probably more between breakfast and the start.

I've always assumed the problem with eating and exercising comes about when you're working hard and there's not enough bloodflow to go around. Your limbs are demanding oxygen and your stomach needs to digest food. Conflicting demands = stomach ache and/or reduced performance. So if I'm taking it easy I don't worry too much about what or when I eat. If I'm pushing hard I try and well in advance or in small quantities during. Does anyone know if this is the correct logic?
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    ^^ Yes, I'd go along with this. If I'm doing long slow social miles, I prefer to get another hours kip and digest my brekkie on the go. If I'm racing or training, then I have to be more disciplined and eat 90 minutes or so beforehand.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It takes about two hours to completely digest porridge, fairly complex carbs so slow release energy too, good for longer term energy, also eat some fruit just before you leave, this is a simple carb and will give you instant energy and is fast to digest.

Your system speed may vary.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    2 minutes
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    2 minutes

Pfft. As you put wheels down, carry your plate with eggs, bacon, and sausage. Rule #5, no carbs.

jk...

1 - 2 hours here, depending on how big of a breakfast. Races / team rides I'll have 2 eggs and a big bowl of cereal at least 1.5-2hrs ahead of time.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    So say if you want to ride at 7.00 am you have to get up 5.00 a.m
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    dennisn wrote:
    My mother always said that I would get a cramp and drown if I went swimming less than an hour after I had eaten.
    I'm guessing she would have said the same about cycling(without the drowning).

What did she say about the tooth fairy and santa claus...?
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    It usually takes me at least 30 mins to get out the door and on the bike after breakfast.

I've gone out quicker on occasions and generally found the riding harder going.

I'll feel pretty full and bloated if i woke up, had a bowl of porridge and then drank tons of water. Smallish breakfast and a small cup of water does it for me.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I did a full English on the ferry and straight off after and into the ride on Friday. It was not my finest moment... Most of it I left in France ...
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    w00dster wrote:
    I always base it on my toilet needs. So after a decent breakfast, fruit juice and a coffee, I'll need to go to the toilet about 45 mins later. Once done then I'm ready to ride. Wouldn't want to be out on a long ride and get the need to go.

Generally speaking though, any time between 30mins and an hour later would be fine. I use the time to potter about, make sure I have everything packed correctly, bike lubed and hydrating myself as I'm pottering about.

We are all different though and you'll find your own routine and what works best for you.

Agree with the above. Nothing worse than 'needing to go' when waiting to start an event, makes for some serious discomfort and can genuinely spoil your enjoyment. Eating about an hour beforehand works well for me. I have also made the mistake of drinking too much water beforehand, thinking I was doing the right thing to get myself hydrated, and ended up with an uncomfortablly full bladder for the first 10 miles of the Etape Caledonia - there were quite a few spectators so nowhere to even have a discreet pee. A genuine lesson learned for me during that event, it may be an unpleasant topic of conversation but making sure you have taken care of your toiletting needs before a ride is extremely important.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"