Quill adaptors?

Cave_Dweller
Cave_Dweller Posts: 114
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend. Basically he has cut the steerer tube on his forks too short and it's sitting under the top bolt on his stem with no spacers and internal headset. He has no spare money get to get a new steerer/crown/stanchion unit or another set of forks to do it properly, so will this quill adaptor work for something temporary to hopefully have a safer ride for a few weeks?

Am I right in thinking that this quill adaptor that I have linked will fit inside his existing steerer and he could attach his stem as normal to the adaptor? his steerer is 1.1/8, not tapered.

Any help would be appreciated, he's due to head out with me this weekend :evil:

Quill adaptor http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bran ... p-prod6254

Edit: sorry, just noticed I put this in the wrong section.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, it won't. Is that with all spacers removed?
  • Yeh, I warned him about cutting it because I did the same with my first set of forks. I wasn't around at the time so I told him to take it to his LBS. He can't even buy a smaller stacked headset because it's all internal.

New fork time or replace the whole top section by the look of it lol
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Look at a stem with a shoter stack height.

That adaptor is not suitable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Didn't think so, was just an idea.

I'll have a look about for him, might be able to get away with a BMX one for now till he works out what he's gonna do. Thanks.