Voodoo or Upgraded Ridgeback Storm?

inch71
inch71 Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've got the choice of 2 bikes within my price range. The 1st is a Voodoo. Not sure whether it's a Hoodoo or Buntu, as the guy is selling it for a friend & doesn't know much about bikes. It looks like it could be a Hoodoo from the photo he sent. The 2nd is a Ridgeback Storm, that's had quite a few upgrades. The only change I'd have to make is change the semi slick tyres to some off road ones.
Which one out if these would be the best to go for?

Here's the spec for the Ridgeback with the upgrades

Frame: Ridgeback Storm 17" Aluminium Frame
Fork: Suntour XCR Disc/V-Brake Form w/Lockout and Preload.
Wheels: Deore LX Hubs with Alex Rims Ace-17 Rims and Black Stainless Steel Spokes
Brakes: Shimano Hone IS Mount Brakes w/ 203mm rotors
Gearing: Shimano Deore LX M570
Chainwheel: Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech II w/ Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket
Cassette: Shimano Deore
STIs: Shimano Deore LX Brake/Shift combination levers.
Seatpost and other trim are Ritchey w/ WTB Saddle

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not sure how you can buy a bike if you don't even know the model, let alone the condition. My first though if some one doesn't know what they are selling, and they are 'selling it for a friend' (seriously is the 'friend' a vegetable?) is it's stolen.

The Ridgeback sounds like a mongrel - XCR forks with Saint 203 brakes?
    I think it started out as a rigid.

Unless they are seriously cheap I would keep looking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • inch71
    I did wonder when he said selling for a friend. The ridgeback looks in very good condition. The guys sent about 12 pics for me to look at. Should be able to get it for around £150 ish. The voodoo is also up for £150
  • chriswim
    chriswim Posts: 20
    Dude, if they can't tell you what the word on the frame says (model) then I would also suggest there is something dodgy about that bike! AS for more info before going near it. Which shop did they get it (I guess Halfords), what year is it, any mods etc etc. If they don't know then don't buy. If he is selling it for a friend as claimed he can pass the questions to the friend and get the answers at the very least...
    If I had to pick on the info you have given alone I would go for the Ridgeback.
  • inch71
    Decided to give the Voodoo a miss, due to the lack of info being given by the seller. It's on Gumtree, with a very vague item description. Any questions I've asked have all had vague answers, & when I asked him the frame measurements due to my short arse stature, he just kept replying 'Do you want it or not'. That was enough for me to walk away.

This is my 1st mountain bike that I'm looking to buy, so don't know the in' & out's of all the different specs. I know from sites like this, the better bikes to be looking at, but sometimes need help with the specs, hence the query over the specs on the Ridgeback.
    I understand that it may well have started life as a rigid fork, but surely most beginner bikes are upgraded at some point to make them better. Surely if I can find one that's already had a few upgrades for the right price, then that should be a good thing right???
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on whether the 'upgrades' are actually upgrades - I'm fairly sure the fork isn't rated for a 203mm rotor and DH spec brakes for example.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • inch71
    It doesn't matter now anyway. It was on eBay & it's gone out of my price range. The last minute bidders strike again :|
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    If you don't know much about bikes then I would suggest buying new, there are some pretty good entry level bikes if you shop carefully and ask for advice. Of course your budget is going to increase, probably to around £300 minimum. But it won't be wasted money
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • chriswim
    How far can you stretch your budget? If you are new to Mountain biking totally and just want to get out there and have fun, can you stretch this far...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

If not how about something like this...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-rockri ... 02231.html

or just check out the stock...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-10829-bike ... 100-to-200

The bikes in your price range are never going to set the world alight but they will get you out there and at least you know they are not stolen!

Of course looking second hand you will get a better bike for your money but in return there is no warranty, and as already mentioned, could be stolen or have hidden cracks to the frame etc that you won't know about until it is too late.
  • inch71
    I'm looking at buying a half decent bike 2nd hand. I've been told by a couple of biking friends I can get better spec for what I'd pay for a cheap new one
  • chriswim
    Your friends are correct, however your budget is slim for a half decent mountain bike. Also consider what sort of riding you're going to do on it. Are you heading to trail centres to go down technical trails or more bombing about in the woods on fire roads and bridle paths?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    inch71 wrote:
    I'm looking at buying a half decent bike 2nd hand. I've been told by a couple of biking friends I can get better spec for what I'd pay for a cheap new one

True, but there is a high risk unless you or your 'friends' know how to spot a pike of crap/stolen bike.

Plus you have to take wear and tear into account.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • inch71
    Yeah, I see your point. Thankfully, one of the guys is very experienced in all aspects of cycling, & knows what to look for. If needed he'll come & look at a bike with me.
    My riding will be mainly road, forest & Bridle paths. Plenty of bridle paths & light trails in my area.