Euro sport commentator

esdel
esdel Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Pro race
Does anyone else find it annoying the way the commentator keeps pronouncing things

He's just called a cervelo a " chervelo" like its Italian .

I want to slap him

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Where's Kirby when we need him?
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Joelsim wrote:
    Where's Kirby when we need him?

Doing this directly for RCS - he'll be on Sky Sports tonight or whenever they're showing the highlights.
  • I physically flinched when he called the start of the Poggio 2 k before it actually started.
  • joelsim
    I lost count of the number of times he said a rider was looking good, when in fact that particular rider looked absolutely done for today.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Sean Kelly bingo was in force "Meekin the calqueleeshun" fast forwarded some so I missed "Tour of France" which is a favourite of mine
  • Paul 8v
    I do hope they never read these threads. In all fairness it must be bloody hard to fill all that time and get everything right all the time!
  • argyllflyer
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I do hope they never read these threads. In all fairness it must be bloody hard to fill all that time and get everything right all the time!

Even though Kelly's not the most eloquent, he does at least know the sport inside out. The commentator should however know more than the fan on the couch and that is not the case.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Quigley's commentary:
    Mollema attacking off the front, when he was actually dangling off the back.
    The peril of rider number identification, as opposed to rider identification.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I find it annoying when the commentators don't know who the riders are. I realise it's difficult when they were all wearing rain jackets but he really didn't have a clue today. I know bu**er all but recognised more riders in the leading group than him and I was watching it on my phone at work. I also think there must be an art knowing when to say nothing rather than talking for talkings sake. Harmon is very good at this and Kirkby is pretty good too. Saying that I couldn't commentate for 3 hours so hats off to him for that
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

Even though Kelly's not the most eloquent, he does at least know the sport inside out. The commentator should however know more than the fan on the couch and that is not the case.
    Yeah, Kelly definitely knows his stuff. Greg Lemond on there too soon. Should be good.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    My favourite bit was Quigley saying that there was no appreciable wind; cue pictures of crashing waves and a rider at the back of the main group struggling to remove his jacket in what was obviously a gusting cross wind.
  • joelsim
    Paul 8v wrote:

Not saying that at all. Kirby fills in time pretty well, has a sense of humour even if some on here think he's a bit lightweight. Quigly's commentary just didn't seem to fit with the pictures.

Kelly is Kelly. He knows what he is talking about, even if he says 'calculaaaation' toirrty times each race.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    According to google ... It could be much worse ... Vino now looks like a saint ...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Carlton ?Kirby isn't no burgular, he tweeted earlier tonight
    Just woken the wife and the street! Flew into London from Sanremo with no keys. Threw a stone at bedroom window....smash! Dog house :-(
    :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Quigley's commentary:
    Mollema attacking off the front, when he was actually dangling off the back.
    The peril of rider number identification, as opposed to rider identification.

It was the way that he pronounced Mollema that annoyed me the most. Like he had just read it for the first time.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Cycle commentating is a tough gig, identifying riders who are wearing helmets, sunnies and blank rain capes is a tricky business as well as keeping the conversation going for 3hours plus.

Harmon has gone and I doubt he'll ever be back. what is needed is a top ex racer who can anchor alongside a pundit. I think Boardman could make the transition
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    My biggest annoyance during Milan Sanremo was the way he would name riders based on who he expected to be there, rather than because he knows it is them. If you don't know who it is, don't name them and then spend some time working out how to identify them based on riding style (or whatever). You are being paid to do it after all!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    squired wrote:
    My biggest annoyance during Milan Sanremo was the way he would name riders based on who he expected to be there, rather than because he knows it is them. If you don't know who it is, don't name them and then spend some time working out how to identify them based on riding style (or whatever). You are being paid to do it after all!

He'd be better leaving it to Kelly, most of the time
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Cycle commentating is a tough gig, identifying riders who are wearing helmets, sunnies and blank rain capes is a tricky business as well as keeping the conversation going for 3hours plus.

Harmon has gone and I doubt he'll ever be back. what is needed is a top ex racer who can anchor alongside a pundit. I think Boardman could make the transition

Boardman alongside Kelly or whoever? It's an idea but I'd guess Boardman would see becoming Eurosport commentator a backwards career move now. I just think they need to find a commentator with a personality who is also a mad keen cycling fan. There must be someone on here with a voice for commentary who fancies it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    You have to have an experienced commentator to keep the patter going, and to ask the (usually) open-ended questions for the ex-pro to answer and show their knowledge.

Two ex-pros pundits, and you'd have 70% silence and 20% floundering, and 10% quality observational stuff.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Boardman alongside Kelly or whoever? It's an idea but I'd guess Boardman would see becoming Eurosport commentator a backwards career move now. I just think they need to find a commentator with a personality who is also a mad keen cycling fan. There must be someone on here with a voice for commentary who fancies it.

Nothing to stop you creating a Skype/Teamspeak channel to share your insight DV. I'd sign up. Especially if you get inner ring, or Rick Chasey, on the blower for your ask the analyst segment.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Also - I reckon I'm better than Quigley 90% of the time sat on my sofa - but put me under pressure in a commentary booth with literally 100s of mad keen Eurosport cycling fans glued to my every word, Sean Kelly sat to my right, a director yelling in my ear, juggling breaks, advert breaks and dodgy feeds and I reckon he'd be better than me 95% of the time...
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Nothing to stop you creating a Skype/Teamspeak channel to share your insight DV. I'd sign up. Especially if you get inner ring, or Rick Chasey, on the blower for your ask the analyst segment.

Great idea, do it!
  • Paul 8v
    Some of the mistakes were quite blatant, even with rain gear on Sagans stripes on his shorts are not the same as the rest of the team.

I'd be up for some bike radar skype commentary (As a listener I hasten to add!)
  • I've been thinking recently, what's the last TRULY great piece of commentary?

I'm thinking, that will be up there with "Roche, Stephen Roche!" and Sherwin's commentary when Lance went through the field?

There's the Kirby one from Turkey when Keisse won, but many people will say that's Kirby getting too over excited
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Doing excitable commentary when it's exciting is the easier stuff to do.

Filling in on a 3 hour tour flat state coverage is difficult.

Reading the classics in an intelligent and informed way is difficult.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I've been thinking recently, what's the last TRULY great piece of commentary?

I'm thinking, that will be up there with "Roche, Stephen Roche!" and Sherwin's commentary when Lance went through the field?

There's the Kirby one from Turkey when Keisse won, but many people will say that's Kirby getting too over excited

You mean like a Classic Commentary Competion (#NicheCricketReference) :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • argyllflyer
    You have to have an experienced commentator to keep the patter going, and to ask the (usually) open-ended questions for the ex-pro to answer and show their knowledge.

Two ex-pros pundits, and you'd have 70% silence and 20% floundering, and 10% quality observational stuff.

If you subscribe to cycling.tv, Brian Smith and Magnus Backstedt did K-B-K together.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Brian Holm and Thomas Bay are both former riders, teammates and close friends. They have no problem filling out 3 hours of a sprint stage when they are pairing on Eurosport. I could listen to them all day. Hilarious stuff.