Cadence Computer

baffled_pete
baffled_pete Posts: 13
I have purchased a turbo trainer and a couple of DVD's which are helping me improve my fitness. However, I need some advice on a cadence computer that works on a turbo. Any recommendations?

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Cadence is computed by having a magnet attached to either the crank arm or the inside part of the pedal. You then attach a sensor to the frame which counts revolutions. For cadence it doesn't matter if the bike is ridden outside or attached to a turbo the same sensors work.

Do you need to input the cadence to another device or is it simply enough to have it displayed to a screen? If it is the latter then any old device will do ranging from a cheap wired one (I've had a couple made my Cateye in the past) up to more expensive non-wired ones. If the cadence needs to be input to some other device then you will need the sensor to either transmit the numbers via Bluetooth or Ant+ for these I have a Wahoo one and a Garmin one.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I use a Cateye Strada Cadence Wired on the turbo bike, it's designed to have the speed sensor on the rear wheel and both receivers fit neatly on the non drive side chain stay, it works a treat. Cost about £35.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    A while back I bought a really cheap($20.00 US) VDO computer that was wireless and had wireless cadence. It's still transmitting after a couple of years.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Any old bike computer wired or wireless can be used for cadence, please follow the link for instructions.

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/209825-cyclocomputer-mph-cadence-conversion.html
  • Just use a timer and count how many pedal strokes every 6 seconds
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dennisn wrote:
    A while back I bought a really cheap($20.00 US) VDO computer that was wireless and had wireless cadence. It's still transmitting after a couple of years.

What the hell are you on about dennis?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:

What the hell are you on about dennis?

I'm "...on about.." a cadence computer that I bought. :?