Riding style causing punctures?

wannabecyclist
wannabecyclist Posts: 149
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
I seem to get a fair few punctures on my commute, maybe 1 every 2 weeks. There are a lot of road works happening which cause lots of loose stones etc which don't help. I have good continental 4 season tyres, keep them well inflated. I overheard someone mention once riding style can influence punctures, what do they mean by this? Do I not spread my weight across the bike correctly or something?

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Probably means riding over potholes debris on road etc instead of avoiding them.

Also heavier riders may get more punctures
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Maybe who you over heard is referring to being road savvy. not looking at the road ahead and avoiding obstacles (pot holes, debris, stones, dead animals etc).
    In relation to weight i have lost a substantial amount of weight in the last year and have had more 'P's as a lighter rider. i reckon thats my bad for not being too thoughtful about my riding and there being loads of crud on the roads in the last few months.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I see lots of people riding in the gutter, if you ride in the left hand tyre line on the road you are more visible to traffic, have more room, they leave you a bigger gap and sweep the carp that cause punctures into the gutter.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Loose stones aren't normally an issue for punctures. Metal bits, thorns, glass - avoid at all costs.
    Some people plow through potholes sitting like a sack of spuds in the saddle - that must have more impact on the wheels which could lead to more flats ?

As has been said - riding further out is a cleaner ride.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Continental 4 season tyres are good for about 2000km and then they become puncture magnets, in my experience

I agree with the comments about riding in the gutter
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    It depends how you hit potholes, if you're expecting it and relaxed in something like the MTB Attack position (off the seat, pedals flat, elbows and knees bent, they are your front and rear multi-link suspension) you'll usually be fine, hit them bearing down with your weight over the front wheel and there's a good chance it'll flat (I did just that a couple of days ago).
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    It depends how you hit potholes, if you're expecting it and relaxed in something like the MTB Attack position (off the seat, pedals flat, elbows and knees bent, they are your front and rear multi-link suspension) you'll usually be fine, hit them bearing down with your weight over the front wheel and there's a good chance it'll flat (I did just that a couple of days ago).

+1.

You should read the road and adjust your position slightly to absorb some of the impact. Grip the bars more lightly, bend your elbows and have some spring in your legs to move in sympathy with the impact. I see a lot of riders ride over potholes with their behind planted firmly in the saddle and arms rigid. As well as being uncomfortable, you are far more likely to experience a pinch puncture. A lot of riders are also overly concerned with their bike computer/GPS rather than the road ahead and see potholes and other hazards too late.

Also, watch your tyre pressure. I'm a stronger, heavier rider - 6' 2" and around 95kg. I run my tyres at 120psi year round. Lower pressures are more comfortable, but you will be more susceptible to punctures caused by hitting potholes.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I must be very lucky- I've only had 1 puncture in over 3 years, and that was when I was trying out "racing tyres" i.e. no puncture protection.

I dont think my Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres have ever had a puncture, and I ride on pretty shi**y roads. But I always ride out of the debris and am very "pot hole aware" if you know what I mean...
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    On my motorbike course we were taught to avoid the 'dirty' parts of the road, as in the sections that get little or no traffic. The reasoning being, you're more likely to pick up some debris.

So if you're filtering close to the kerb or over areas of cross hatchings or similar, that might be a possibility.