How many miles should I ride next week?

vs4b
vs4b Posts: 257
I'm confused about tapering!

I've ridden about 130miles a week for the last 6 weeks up from 85ish per week the previous six. Last year total was 4k for ref. next weekend I'm doing the nidderdale sportive - 60 miles, 6000ft hills. I live on the fens and am fat so it's gonna hurt!

I have been commuting mon and tues most weeks recently which is a 46 mile round trip by the short route.

My question is should I
a)ride the commute twice as usual in advance of Sundays hill rest
b) not ride it at all and rest all week ready for Sunday
c) ride it once
or d) not commute at all but do a couple of shorter rides instead?

Sorry for the ramble, I await a series of well reasoned but opposing opinions to confuse me further!
Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do exactly the same as you have been doing - it's just a 60mi bike ride. Maybe go easy on Saturday, so you can start Sunday with fresh legs, but let's not over-think it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think it depends how you're feeling. If you're feeling fresh and strong, do the commute in the early part of the week and give 2 or 3 days for your glycogen to get back up to snuff before Sunday. If you're feeling tired, take the week off - it'll do you nothing but good. It's entirely up to you.

If you're not used to the hills, take them steady and at your own pace - especially at first. It's better to finish hard than to start hard.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I have never been a big believer in tapering and have always kept mileage about the same in the run up to a big event. I might ease the intensity in the 2-3 days ahead of it, and certainly wouldn't go out and do a high intensity hill repeats session.

So, yes, commute the Monday and Tuesday as normal. A light spin on Thursday maybe?

Good luck and yes, take the hills at your pace and don't put yourself way into the red on the first ones.