Burls Ti

Bordersroadie
Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
edited March 2014 in Your road bikes
Here's my new Burls, at last. This is my do everything bike, from TTs to climbing up walls (well, the Dolomites and Hardknott pass anyway).

Made to measure, round tubes except bi-oval downtube. 27.2 post. Frame weight 1350g on Park Scales. Justin Burls a pleasure to deal with, highly recommended. He designs the frames, his Russian (ex-Colnago) company makes them.

Un-logoed Easton EC90 SL fork, delogoed Pro PLT stem and FSA Wing bars. Delogoed Open Pro on Dura Ace hubs 32/28.

K-Light 52/39/30 with the unsightly red K changed to black. Red has no place on a Ti bike! :shock:

Other bits Ultegra with a Masterpiece post and Toupe Pro saddle.

Weight exactly 8.0 kg including pedals. I just need to tilt the saddle back a tad and fit the delogoed Planet X carbon cages and wait for the roads to dry out (maybe tomorrow).

NewBurls1.jpg

60af16b7-3baa-48c6-871f-87ac1798a696.jpg

feb0b87b-6de3-4303-a113-097ee7e604b0.jpg

ead0cdcd-6502-48b8-a7ce-7231b1c26c2e.jpg

Comments

• matig0l
    matig0l Posts: 37
    Classy looking bike. Good work.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Very classic looking bike.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Cracking bike...
  • Bordersroadie
    Nice dude - love a bit of de-logoing. How come it's 8kg though? Heavy wheels?

My scales may be a bit out - the bathroom variety! It feels lighter than that, I might borrow a mate's digital angling scale.

The wheels aren't super light - OpenPro on Dura Ace 7900 with GP4000s's - but not terribly heavy either.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    That is rather nice. Agree about Justin, top bloke. Must post my TT bike here sometime, Columbus steel so Justin built it in his garage in Horwich.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    How long did the whole ordering process take?
  • Bordersroadie
    Six weeks from order to delivery.
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    Justin is actually in Harwich, Essex, a top guy. regarding the weight, you have included pedals so that can account for a few grams.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    What did you use to de-logo?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bordersroadie
    The OpenPro stickers came off with a hair drier and my finger nail, no residue.

The stem/bars I rubbed down with 800 grit wet and dry then sprayed with matt black rattle can, using a hair drier to dry as I went. I got rid of the red "K" on the crankset and the bottle cage logos using old-style go faster stripes from Halfords and cutting them to shape.

The fork came direct from Easton to Burls like that. He had one left in stock so I grabbed it.
  • napoleond
    It was the stem I was wondering about. Ta.

Edit:

Just bought some nail polish remover from boots. Tried rubbing an anodised stem with that and a cloth and 15 seconds later, no logos! :D
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It was the stem I was wondering about. Ta.

Edit:

Just bought some nail polish remover from boots. Tried rubbing an anodised stem with that and a cloth and 15 seconds later, no logos! :D

Was just about to ask the very same question. My Enigma has a Pro PLT stem in need of this treatment. Gonna get this sorted tonight. Oh and Nap, it doesn't have a load of spacers under said stem :wink:

Really like the Burls. Classy and understated.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • napoleond
    It'll only work on anodised stuff, as I have found out on another cheap painted stem :)
    So should be fine on the pro.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jordan_217
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It'll only work on anodised stuff, as I have found out on another cheap painted stem :)

Good stuff. Cheers.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Good stuff. Cheers.

Well bless my belgian booties. I went to work on the decals last night and with two passes of a cloth and some acetone the decals just rubbed off. :)

Thanks for the tip. Makes the front end look a bit cleaner and the matte black contrasts well with the frame.