Too hot, too cold! What jacket help to reduce baggage!

sumo55
sumo55 Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hi
I've just bought a cyclocross bike to commute further but also started using it for road cycling for long distant leisure. I've got shorts due to saddle sores and base layers & jerseys. I bought a Pro vis waterproof http://www.provizsports.com/en_gb/hi-vi ... ket-womens for commuting etc. But I have not yet bought a lightweight jacket for that final third layer. I am one of those people who get warm extremely quickly but very sensitive to damp coldness. I was hoping my Pro Vis would do, but I seem to boil in there within minutes and arm pit vents don't help. It like wearing a plastic bag!

I'm confused with windstoppers, softshell, waterproofs etc. Am I after a windstopper?
What do I look for that won't make me boil, but protect me from wind but is very breathable.And what does one do in rain at the night as I am likely to still ride after sun set. Do I have to bring my Pro Vis, and everything else with me causing me to bring a bag or pannier!?
I do find myself having to take lots of stops to lose layers and can never get my temperature right.

I am more of a keen commuter but leisurely rides would be great when travelling light.

Am I asking for too much?!

Sue

Comments

• helidoc
    helidoc Posts: 4
    I think you need a light and packable windproof to wear over your jersey. I use mine to keep the chill off, and then pack it away when warmed up. Most are not waterproof, but they are water resistant enough to hold the worst of the rain off you in most circumstances. They breath better than any true waterproof.

Lots of great option, depending on the kind of cut and look you want.

Howies Dyfi-£43 delivered-have ordered one as a more versatile (less Roadie!) alternative to my Castelli, but haven't tried it yet
    Sportful Hotpack 4
    Castelli Sottile Due-this is what I use and it's great
    Montane Featherlight Velo seems pretty rated.

Softshells are great winter jackets as long as there is some kind of windstopper fabric on the wind exposed bits. I have a Castelli Mortirolo for Winter which is functionally much the same as a winter jersey with a windproof over it, although probably even warmer and more breathable. There are jerseys with windproof membranes on them, which if on the body is functionally like having an integrated gilet.

Your proviz is a commuting jacket, and these are fine for steady commutes in heavy rain, but outside of this I would leave it at home.

I would see how you get on with one of the above

David
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I would skip the 3rd layer and pick yourself a fleece lined softshell with good vents. The mavic echappee jacket gets me through from -5c to 10c (with varying base layers) and when you start to get hot you simply open the arm vents. The water resistance is good and unless you are riding for over an hour there is little point in waterproof clothing IMO.

If you want to go with three layers I would look at windproof Gilet, something that will pack super small into your back pocket.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    Gore Phantom II is a softshell and wind cheater. The arms zip off tpo creat a gilet type thing.

With arms it is good for cold winter days and will shed rain to some extent.

Without arms it is good for late winter/spring but too warm for summer.

Layers with arm warmers and windcheater gilet is the way to go.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Gore Phantom II is a softshell and wind cheater. The arms zip off tpo creat a gilet type thing.

With arms it is good for cold winter days and will shed rain to some extent.

Without arms it is good for late winter/spring but too warm for summer.

Layers with arm warmers and windcheater gilet is the way to go.

I use the gore phantom in the morning with the sleeves on, and then if its warm sleeves off. Its a bit more warmer than a standard gilet as with the sleeves off its has a short of short sleeve underneath them which stops wind hitting your chest.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Love my gore phantom. I use it autumn winter spring as above for weekend rides and commuting. Had it about five years and still going strong. Just need to get it washed a bit more often!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    There is no such thing as a breathable coat that is light, cheap and water proof. They just don't exist. Here are my researches into coats for riding

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2013/05/3 ... ever-used/

In the summer I do a lot of really long distance riding. For flexibility in dealing with temperatures from low to high I've found the best way to go is short sleeved jersey, arm warmers and a gilet. If you get the right gilet they keep the rain off a bit too. This combination is very breathable. Add some leg warmers a buff and gloves and you can ride 24h

This time of year (early spring) it is usually too cold for short sleeved jerseys so I wear a long sleeved windproof jersey like an Assos Intermediate
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I don't know if this applies to all but speaking for myself I can only stay dry if I cycle very slowly/steadily in a full waterproof commuter style jacket (I have an Altura something or other that I bought years ago). If I increase work rate anything above a gentle stroll in this I boil and start getting wet from the inside though. I've found for me I am happy to be wet so long as I am warm so, after much experimenting, I have settled on a merino base layer and a windproof jersey (I use DHB wind slammer as it works for me but there are "better" tops around if you want to spend more). On very wet/cold days I wear a Montaine Velo packable windproof on top. I am never dry, whether from sweat, rain or both, but I am also never cold. Finally the single biggest leap in comfort for me was getting my hands and feet sorted - I can always warm up my body by working a bit harder but I used to find it really miserable when my hands and/or feet got cold.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well the weather is picking up a bit now. I'd probably go for a windproof gilet for the time being.
    Your third layer - well I just use a cheap Aldi rainjacket - fits in a pocket and as it stays there 95% of the time - I can't see the point in spending more. I don't think my Rapha rainjacket was functionally any better (and not v packable).
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    fatdaz wrote:
    I don't know if this applies to all but speaking for myself I can only stay dry if I cycle very slowly/steadily ...after much experimenting, I have settled on a merino base layer and a windproof jersey.

Merino is quite good for commuting as it doesn't smell of sweat. Sounds a bit weird but look up the science stuff yourself, it's true. However as a base layer material it isn't imho that great, it doesn't wick tremendously well.

Here's my experience with base layers

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2013/04/2 ... d-and-new/

The conclusion for me (I am tremendously sweaty) is that a "string vest" synthetic base layer is best for keeping me dry. It really works. Second best is a technical polyester top.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's been my experience with merino too; warm and smell-free, but didn't wick very well. I now use a synthetic thermal base layer which wicks really well, and the merino as a warm mid layer only when it's pretty cold.

Must get my self some arm and leg warmers this year.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    cougie wrote:
    Well the weather is picking up a bit now. I'd probably go for a windproof gilet for the time being.

+1 for the gilet idea. Its a very versitile piece of clothing - cheats the wind so helps keep you warm, but doesn't make you sweat when the temperature rises. On this mornings ride in I had:
    - mesh sleeveless base layer
    - long sleeve synthetic base layer
    - jersey/jacket top (its thicker than a jersey but not quite a jacket)
    - bright yellow/green gilet.

If it rains, the gilet will keep the worse off, but I won't sweat buckets in it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    keef66 wrote:
    That's been my experience with merino too; warm and smell-free, but didn't wick very well ...

So this would be why I'm Always wet then
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    fatdaz wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    That's been my experience with merino too; warm and smell-free, but didn't wick very well ...

So this would be why I'm Always wet then

All base layers are going to get wet, but some like merino wool feel wetter than others. If moisture is being "wicked away" its got to go somewhere. I guess clothing feels less wet if the moisture is wicked away to other layers and away from the skin
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    I would say a lot of it will come down to budget , sure there are plenty of us on here with a rather large collection of tops for all weathers and then some.

Your choice will be guided a bit by budget and length of rides , there are jackets which are breathable and you can wear in virtually anything but they are NOT cheap - rapha softshell , castelli gabba , selection of assos......... these can have there temperature ranges adapted with how many layers you put on.

The other option which has been outlined is the varied layers and a water/wind proof gilet to keep most of it off, If your likely to be out for hours when it's throwing it down then a waterproof would also be on my list but at some point you will get wet. There are race cape style waterproofs which should fit in a jersey pocket.

Good luck with your bewildering array of options !
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Speckled
    Speckled Posts: 97
    Gilet all day long...

I too get hot quite quickly and it baffles me when im wearing next to nothing and i see others in full bib tights and long sleeve jackets.

This time of years a bit awkward, can be freezing in the morning when you first set out and then fairly mild by midday.
    Even in the coldest of days i just wear a long sleeve base layer and gilet on top, but these last few weekends ive just been out with a short sleeve jersey and gilet 8)