Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987 (modern upgrade complete)

PhilPub
PhilPub Posts: 229
edited March 2014 in Your road bikes
I've posted this before, since getting a new paint job a couple of years ago and bunging a SRAM Force group set on it. But finally the upgrade is complete; I realised I wasn't getting on with the Cinelli classic drop bars, but wanted to keep the aesthetic with silver bits and a quill stem, so decided to swallow the import duty on getting some Nitto bars in from Japan. Not much choice out there for compact drops in silver with a 26.0 clamp! Anyway, all done so I'm looking forward to some sunny day outings. This thing rides better than ever.

13056068655_3d767ebeb0_c.jpg

13056386404_d123ea8fc1_c.jpg

13056199733_f085b6cc1f_c.jpg

13056385944_0d4abb44f6_c.jpg

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Lovely job....a classy classic.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Did you get the rear cold set or whatever? So that you could get modern wheels on it?

Have heard conflicting advice on whether this is wise

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    I did try it out with a 10-spd wheel initially, and could've got away with a bit of stretching, but thought I might as well get it done properly when I went to get the frame resprayed, so it's been done professionally.

Cheers, drlodge!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    SecretSam wrote:
    Did you get the rear cold set or whatever? So that you could get modern wheels on it?

Have heard conflicting advice on whether this is wise

On normal steels like 531 and Columbus SL its not really a problem. It is more of a problem on heat treated steels since the steel has to be flexed so much to put a permanent bend in it, you risk breaking the steel or joints. My 531 Professional frame has 753 rear stays, and I dare not try and cold set them for risk of knackering the frame. I've used a NOS DuraAce hub with 126m OLN with Open Pro rims.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Very nice indeed.

My regularly used winter bike no. 2 is my from-new 1985 531c frame. I cold set it from 122mm (!!) to 130 as per Sheldon Brown with no problems. I've got handbuilt 105/Excellights and an 8 speed SRAM cassette on original SunTour friction shifters with a 46/34 Stronglight. I have a Nitto stem too - a thing of beauty!

Enjoy it!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Thanks for those pics...