Cambrian Coast Sportive

Ron Stuart
Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
Must be one of the toughest rides I've done and the Bwlch y Groes half way round with it's 25% ramps was a tester. I did the Wild Wales Challenge a couple of weeks before which was a hard ride but this was harder again.

Route here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3356697 it states that there are over 12000 climbing feet and well my legs thought so. Although these mapping tools never agree with one another it would be safe to say there was a lot of climbing and plenty of steep stuff thrown in for good measure:!:

Highlight of the day was seeing a 71 year old Welshman riding the whole way up the Bwlch y Groes with a part inflated rear tyre fantastico :P

Comments

• It was a proper event! Must again next year and hopefully the weather will be as good!
  • Yes!! The gentle title does not hint at the tough parcours!! You only spend about 10km on the 'coast', the rest is up and down silly steep mountains!

Brilliant event and delicious flapjacks - will be back next year.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Well done Ron. Being familiar with most of the roads, I though it would make for a tough day out.

There is a shorter 100km one for those wanting to see most of the beautiful scenery with a little less pain (see http://welshcyclingevents.co.uk/routes.asp).

You could get the train to Aberdyfi to ride it, although Arriva's timetable for this very scenic line makes it difficult, particularly on a Sunday. They're not great at accomodating bicycles either.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Thinking about doing this :shock:

Although I know a will be walking up blwch unless I change my 12-23 cassete :oops:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Thinking about doing this :shock:

Although I know a will be walking up blwch unless I change my 12-23 cassete :oops:

I used a compact 50/34 with an 11-28 on the rear during this event though I have now invested in a 12-30 cassette and tried it out on the Burway with a head wind on Sunday doing The Shropshire Devil Sportive and the thirty was welcome! No problem with my short Ultegra rear mech and didn't have to change chain length either, I just assembled new cassette, new chain and it worked fine! :wink:
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Iv'e entered the big dog route :roll:

Climbing: 4000m :shock:
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    I've entered the Standard again this year, to see how much I can knock off my 2013 time, being a stone lighter and having invested in a quicker bike! :evil: