Tyres for Single Speed.

copperthorpe
copperthorpe Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Hello folks,

looks like I'll be commuting to work soon on my Paddy Wagon so I would like some advice on tyre choice from fellow SS users....puncture protection is paramount as wheels aren't quick release ( obviously ) and don't want to be late for work.
C49

Comments

• Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    I use Marathon plus on my SS Day One. Currently using 25s but due to the state of the roads i am thinking of using 28s.
    Blooming well loving the SS riding :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use Continental GP4Seasons on my single speeds. More grip than Marathon Plus, which are downright treacherous in the cold and damp.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I would suggest Continental Gatorskin , they are so popular for a reason. I tried all sorts before trying these including durano's / ultra sports / pro3 etc. To be honest all of them had signs of wear / nicks / cuts etc whereas the Gatorskins still look as new after 600 miles.

They ain't super cheap at £20-£25 a piece but I doubt you will find anyone who does not like them
  • Check out Vittoria Randonneur, I'm currently using the standard ones. Great tyre at the price. Much better than Marathons, where I had multiple punctures. Didn't rate Gatorskins either.

Get the widest tyre you can fit.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    As I have the clearance I use Continental Gator Hardshell 28s on the rear of my fixed bikes, sees to be a pretty decent tyre.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Asprilla wrote:
    I use Continental GP4Seasons on my single speeds. More grip than Marathon Plus, which are downright treacherous in the cold and damp.

Really? Always used them on my bikes. Never had a problem even when riding as a cycle messenger.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Doris Day wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Really? Always used them on my bikes. Never had a problem even when riding as a cycle messenger.

Yeah. They are puncture resistant and last a very long time (I've had the same pair on my station hybrid for 6 years) and this is achieved by using a very hard rubber compound.

The down side of using hard rubber is that you've got less grip and the rubber hardens further as the temperature drops.

They ride like they are made from hosepipes. I ran them on an Alfine hubbed belt drive bike I recently sold (if you think changing a tube on an FGSS is a pain then these take it to a whole new level) and I still use Marathon Winters on my SSCX in the snow.

Durano Plus are a better alternative. Uses the same puncture protection gel layer but is a slick and uses a softer rubber.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I have always like duranos (regular) on my winter geared bike.

Has anyone tried durano skids? I am tempted to put one on the back of my fixie when the current stock tyre dies.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Asprilla wrote:
    Doris Day wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yeah. They are puncture resistant and last a very long time (I've had the same pair on my station hybrid for 6 years) and this is achieved by using a very hard rubber compound.

The down side of using hard rubber is that you've got less grip and the rubber hardens further as the temperature drops.

They ride like they are made from hosepipes. I ran them on an Alfine hubbed belt drive bike I recently sold (if you think changing a tube on an FGSS is a pain then these take it to a whole new level) and I still use Marathon Winters on my SSCX in the snow.

Durano Plus are a better alternative. Uses the same puncture protection gel layer but is a slick and uses a softer rubber.

You can eek out more grip from marathon pluses with lower pressures they will tolerate 40/60 psi and grip well enough to be chucked though the bends even on a wet cold day. They don't ride well I agree! the puncture protection is top notch worth noting that the Durano pluses use a same type of protection but a much thinner layer under the tyre.

I tended to use training type tyres that rarely punctured, 2 maybe 3 times a year.