Slipped disc advice .......help please

mxgeldar
mxgeldar Posts: 12
I suffered a slipped disc last week and currently have a very sore lower back and cramp/pains down the outside of my right leg.

I have both a road bike and a 29er and want to get out on one of them as soon as possible. I also have a tacx turbo trainer that I could use.

I am relatively new to serious cycling and this year was going to be the one where I got my sportive/100/hill challenges done for the first time. Now I need to start from scratch.

When can I get out on bike? Is there a program I could follow? Is the turbo a better idea?

How long after pain subsides before I should start?

Thanks in advance for your help

Mark

Comments

• champson
    champson Posts: 57
    Depending on age and severity, could be 8 weeks to 18 months. You should take it very easy and I would start back on the 29er first as this will put less strain on your back, but ride it on the trainer if possible and not yet.
    You could see a good physio, many don't really understand the injury and can make it worse. Don't see a chiropractor, they will probably tell you to put leeches on it or similar.
    Best thing for me was a book called "treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie.
    Certain Pilates exercises help a lot, work on your core muscles and will reduces chances of reoccurrence.
    BTW, there's no such thing as a slipped disc, it might be prolapsed or if you're unlucky, herniated.
    Good luck anyway.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    No one can diagnose your condition, just go and see your GP and see if you can self refer to an NHS physio, otherwise you ll have to pay to see one as asap.
    If you haven't a history of back issues you could be lucky and riding around after a week or 2, personally, I found a more racer position helped as shocks from the bike didn't travel straight up my spine but everyone is different.
  • mxgeldar
    thanks peeps.....will check the GP route and see what they say

i already have a prolapsed disc and hope its the same one but this is a new pain.....better hadnt be more serious!!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure what kind of answers you are expecting on here, as every prolapse is different and you really should be guided by your GP, consultant, or physio, depending on your diagnosis.
  • mxgeldar
    had good news today from GP. turns out that its not a prolapsed/herniated disk after all and is something related to a nerve trapped somewhere in my sacrum area. recovery should be in weeks and I should be back up and about much quicker than I feared. On the positive side I have been given some pethidine painkillers which are just wonderful ...... all you women out there have had life sooooo easy with childbirth if this is what its like ;-)

thanks all for the advice - appreciate the guidance given
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mxgeldar wrote:
    had good news today from GP. turns out that its not a prolapsed/herniated disk after all and is something related to a nerve trapped somewhere in my sacrum area. recovery should be in weeks and I should be back up and about much quicker than I feared. On the positive side I have been given some pethidine painkillers which are just wonderful ...... all you women out there have had life sooooo easy with childbirth if this is what its like ;-)

thanks all for the advice - appreciate the guidance given

Look forward to your next post " Help! I am addicted to Opiates"