Tastes like Guinness morning thread

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited March 2014 in The Crudcatcher
Morning fools,

Today is my day off, so naturally already at work. Working til 9am, couple of house viewings, job interview, then back at work for 5pm. All in all, a fun day ahead!

Laters

Comments

• thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Mehning Losers!

I've spent most the morning pi$$ing out my ar$e, so I don't think I'm a well Mule. Still, should make work a bit of a laugh, especially the important meeting I have! :? I'm stocking up on my weetabix whilst I type.

Later, probably go out for a run or a long walk, followed by a walk.

Laters!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    morning

meh - legs dead after racing at the w.end and then 70 mile commute yesterday - esp hard on the way back as I had a fuel pump and filter in my back pack - so not exactly aerodynamic!

Today is auditor/work meh followed by parents evening aka enjoying the view of the oldest teacher who is in her early 20's :). Then some study and no drink as I'm going to Swansea for the day on Wednesday
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    evening ladyboys.

Today I am researching the possible cost of getting wheel bearings replaced on the car.. i have no idea whats reasonable for this job.

in other news planning my new bike in may, going to test ride the new Dune XR and the shop have said they will swap out the float for a pike if thats what i want and knock a little off which is nice.

onwards coffee!
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Working from home, little boy has thrown up so wife has left me with him whilst she goes to work. I also got a load of work on. Fun day.. Meh
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Moaning,
    Probably another busy day at work today. The sunny weekend means all the fools got their old bangers out, then broke down. It was so busy I had to take some retail calls, so another day of silly questions I suspect. Yesterdays winner was the bloke asking me if the previous owner had replaced the crank in the engine he'd bought off the Bay. How the feckity feck should I know?
    Sounds like a week for car repairs on here as well. Mine has gone back to the bodyshop so they can do it right this time. Waylander, wheel bearing shouldn't be too much. Unless you are paying main dealer rates.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Morning mongs

Meh. Sat at my desk thinking I'd rather be somewhere else.

Had the tooth filled with what is apparently the dental equivalent of gripfill, so obviously it will fail at the crucial moment just as I'm about to do something really important.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890

Today I am researching the possible cost of getting wheel bearings replaced on the car.. i have no idea whats reasonable for this job.

Mate just got one rear wheel bearings changed on his clio and that was about a hundred I think.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    evening ladyboys.

Today I am researching the possible cost of getting wheel bearings replaced on the car.. i have no idea whats reasonable for this job...

If you have a rear wheel drive car and you are replacing the front bearings, it is a relatively straight forward job. 1 to 1.5 hours per side max, depending on how easy the pressed races come out. Bearing sets are between £!2 and £25 ea, unless you have something really fancy. Rear bearings are similar in that it depends on whether the car is rear wheel drive or front wheel drive.
    How do you know the bearings are gone? How do you know they might only need adjustment?
    Call Euro car parts and get a quote for the bearings so that some dodgy mechanic doesn't try to rip you off with silly prices.

Morning Noork supports

Short day at work today. No hope of a bike ride, it's pi$$ing down out there.

Bye
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Thewaylander
    Im not 100% sure, but from the research i have done it certainly sounds like it.

I have a good honest garage i will go to once calling around for some prices when i get it confirmed, i get an intermitant shake through the stear at about 60+MPH tracking is all ok and wheels +tyres are fine and balanced so next most likely apparently is the wheel bearings. its a mK1 Leon FR and to be honest i wouldnt be suprised if it was its been through so many mucky fields and crap then driven a bit firmly after :s

Car mechanics i admit is not my strongest area.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Afternoon all

Today sucks. I've just for home from 10 days away and it's bloody raining after you've all had this nice weather!!

I'm seriously considering moving back to Tenerife. Had a great time there with friends and family, my career/work has stalled here, so why not? Lots of things to consider though......

Laters
  • Thewaylander
    some good riding out there too isnt there?
  • welshkev
    some good riding out there too isnt there?

Yes mate, they've got a bit of everything there. There's a huge dh scene (well as huge as it can be on a smallish island lol) some great xc and enduro stuff too.

Have a look at www.lavatrax.com for an idea :)
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Evening gets,

Had bother logging in all weekend to bore you with how my life was going, luckily (for you) i am back. Looked at damage on a red arrow yesterday, think its going to be a dead arrow!

Drove back to wales this morning in the usual depressed stupor, did nowt in work and am now getting revved up to go to the gym! Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Evening 'Tards,

Today has been full on with work and not much else but shortly I'm off out for an all expenses paid slap up dinner on (somebody else's) expenses because they know I've got a budget :) It's a posh restaurant in an even posher hotel, so I'd better remember which knife and fork to use and not neck the wine too much on a school night :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Call Euro car parts and get a quote for the bearings so that some dodgy mechanic doesn't try to rip you off with silly prices.

other factors are available and in my biased opinion - much better :wink:
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    edited March 2014
    Meh, is it nearly Friday yet?

Cream crackered due to back ache and not enough sleep, managed about 4 hours in total last night. My Mondano has decided it needs some attention with the battery packing up and then the glove box handle decided to self destruct. Typical Ford quality plastics used in the handle after a quick search threw up lots of posts about the problem.

About £30 for a new handle assembly or I might go all Blue Peter with some 4mm tent pegs and glue after a post on a Ford forum. A mate of mine who owns a garage sourced me a Bosch S5 battery with a 5 year warranty for just over £80, 2.2 diesel Mondano so needs a big battery and I don't trust the cheapy ones. Good price as some car spares places are trying to charge £140 ish, even eurocarparts is £115.

Also had my wallet raped at Ford main dealers as I needed some power steering fluid, no where seems to sell the right stuff so had to resort to Frauds. 1L bottle was £31, must be made from unicorn tears and unobtanium as its so bloody expensive.

Meh....
  • tlw1
    Veronese68 wrote:
    GSF?

and others........................ :)
  • tlw1
    welshkev wrote:

why don't I trust this link!
  • welshkev
    matthew h wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

why don't I trust this link!

Ha ha, no it's genuine.
  • pinno
    Im not 100% sure, but from the research i have done it certainly sounds like it.

I have a good honest garage i will go to once calling around for some prices when i get it confirmed, i get an intermitant shake through the stear at about 60+MPH tracking is all ok and wheels +tyres are fine and balanced so next most likely apparently is the wheel bearings. its a mK1 Leon FR and to be honest i wouldnt be suprised if it was its been through so many mucky fields and crap then driven a bit firmly after :s

Car mechanics i admit is not my strongest area.

A good bet is to go to your local ATS or similar and ask him to have a look. Could be steering arm links, track rod ends. I have a mate who works at my local ATS and although he may not be able to fix it, he can diagnose the problem, have a butchers with a crow bar and see if there is any bushes or rubber that needs replacing. Off the ground, he can spin the wheels and give you a good idea if it's the bearings. Bearings when they go, 'whine' all the time and will whine well before 60 - bit like some of the punters in communting chat. Sideways tenner, hey presto. Just like GT's mum (although I think that's an over inflated price).

@Matt H: It will just give him a ball park figure. I am sure there are better motor factors - go off and shag them if you like. :wink:
  • veronese68
    Like Piña said, wheel bearings usually announce themselves by whining, noise gets louder as speed goes up.
    Hmm, motor factors, 3 letters. ARE? I thought they'd been bought out by ECP. Not GSF. Any more?
  • tlw1
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Like Piña said, wheel bearings usually announce themselves by whining, noise gets louder as speed goes up.
    Hmm, motor factors, 3 letters. ARE? I thought they'd been bought out by ECP. Not GSF. Any more?

Urm Can't Exactly Suggest
  • pinno
    BTW, if ECP now own GSF does that mean they still stock SKF, ffs?
  • veronese68
    No, FFS. ECP own ARE, GSF are their major competition. CES are the dogs danglies and stand head and shoulders above all other motor factors.
    They'll all stock SKF, EBC, FAI and others.
    I think that Matt H owes me a drink now.
  • pinno
    Well ok, as long as the ETA of the SKF, EBC, FAI is the same as the speed that GT's mum gets her A1 arse round here, then IMHO and IME they must be the dogs bollox just as you say. I hope their after sales are as good as GE and CEF.
  • tlw1
    Veronese68 wrote:
    No, FFS. ECP own ARE, GSF are their major competition. CES are the dogs danglies and stand head and shoulders above all other motor factors.
    They'll all stock SKF, EBC, FAI and others.
    I think that Matt H owes me a drink now.

:D