Tubular tyres...???

white/blue flash
white/blue flash Posts: 49
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hi everyone, I have tried the search function but cant find a definitive answer....

What size tyre would you fit to a 700c x 20.5 tubular rim ?? 21mm or 22mm...

So confused at the moment :? :?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    23 to 25mm will be fine, no need to go super skinny
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I'd pick the size based on rider weight, type of riding, and road conditions - NOT on width.

For general riding and training, I (at about 170 pounds) would use a tire that weighs between 260-300 grams.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Cheers guys....your the kiddies....
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It depends on what sort of rims and how you intend to use them. If they are aero race wheels (TT) then the tub size should be as close as possible to the rim width. For road racing go a little wider. If for general riding then up to 25 is fine. Personally I would only use tubs for racing.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Hi everyone, I have tried the search function but cant find a definitive answer....

So confused at the moment :? :?

are you sure you have a tubular rim? using 'tubs' can be a bit of a black art for a novice, I've been riding for years and see no need for them. tubeless tyres on the other hand, are something I'm eager to put on my bike.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Good question about whether the rims are really for tubulars....

With a rim for tubular tire, the top surface is slightly concave and there are no 'walls' to hold the tire. The round body of a tubular tire just tightly rests in the concave surface of the rim and is secured with some sort of glue.

I 'think' that there is a special type of tubular that is made to fit on a regular 700c clincher rim, but I don't have any experience with it.

If you have 700c clincher rims, then I suggest using regular 700c clincher tires - 23 or 25 mm are usually suitable for most people.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Velocity Escapes (19mm rim bed) look great with a 25mm Pave on them so like others I'd suggest buying for comfort and ride quality. 23-25 would be good. I wouldn't go with anything narrower than a 22, especially on a reasonably wide rim bed like yours.

I was tempted by the Conti Force tub when I was last looking (sadly Ribble were out of stock), looks like a good combination of Conti grip and reliability with a nice width and hopefully decent durability. Jury is out on the last part though, as I said, in the end I couldn't get them.

Worth also bearing in mind that in most cases tan sidewalls look great :)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Can't see a problem using 23mm on those rims. As for using tubs only for racing; I personally don't subscribe to that view. I use them all the time for a much smoother ride with less rolling resistance. Not had a puncture yet, (used to get them quite often on clinchers) but they can be fixed at the road side if you carry the right kit and a spare tun just in case.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.