Compact Vs Standard - advice

craigleese
craigleese Posts: 68
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Hi

Novice looking for help. Firstly i'd like to say sorry because i'm sure you've all been asked this question enough already.

I purchased a specialized Roubiax 5 weeks which has a 9 speed Sora 52/36T chainring & a 11-30 cassette. My other bike is a Specialized Tarmac which has 10 speed ultegra 50/34 Chainring & 11-28 Cassette.

My question is: Is there much difference between the chainring/cassettes for climbing on my bikes ? I'm really really struggling to climb on my roubiax compared to the Tarmac (Tarmac is lighter yes but only a 2kg). My friends tell me they are very similar & can't see what i'm moaning about.

Thanks in advance & really appreciate your advice (good or bad).
Craig

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Have a look at this calculator, you can put in the cog teeth numbers and make a direct comparison between your two sets and hit the speed and compare mph at a set cadence, your two lowest are the same ratio and speed...

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Thank you Team47b.

So it's all psychological ? The only difference between the two bikes when spinning with high cadence is just the weight difference ?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I think you may have your chain rings back to front in your post. Roubaix bikes normally have 50 / 34 chain rings but your bike may be different. This in theory makes the Roubaix easier to climb hills on going by gear ratios.

It may be you just suit the Tarmac better and find it easier to ride. Do a comparison of how both bikes are setup there may be differences that don't suit you on the Roubaix e.g. Ride position, tyres etc.
  • Hi Kajjal

You are right in what you say; let me explain.. i actually purchased the Tarmac SL4 5 weeks ago which at the time had the 9 speed sora with the 52/36 & 11-30 cassette however because the Tarmac was a better/newer frame then my roubaix, i had the complete groupset swapped from roubaix to tarmac & tarmac to roubaix.

Meaning...
    Roubaix 9 speed Sora 52/36T chainring & a 11-30 cassette
    Tarmac 10 speed ultegra 50/34 Chainring & 11-28 Cassette

I sure hope that's clear to you to understand :/

Thanks
    Craig
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    craigleese wrote:
    Hi Kajjal

You are right in what you say; let me explain.. i actually purchased the Tarmac SL4 5 weeks ago which at the time had the 9 speed sora with the 52/36 & 11-30 cassette however because the Tarmac was a better/newer frame then my roubaix, i had the complete groupset swapped from roubaix to tarmac & tarmac to roubaix.

Meaning...

Thanks
    Craig
    Craig, I think you are struggling to climb on your Roubaix now because you have changed it from a 34T smallest chainring to a 36T smallest chainring. So when you move down from your big chainring at the front it will be slightly tougher than it was before when you moved down to a 34T ring.
  • You've just got a slightly harder bottom gear on the new bike.

Do both bikes have the same or similar crank length, saddle height/fore-aft, tyres and tyre sizes?
  • Hi Simon Masterson

Both bikes have exactly the same crank length, saddle height/fore-arf (I've had a bike fit on both), tyres & tyre sizes . Different wheels though (carbon wheels on the tarmac).

Thanks
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    36x30 is the same gear as 34x28, give or take a third of a tooth. So it's not the gearing.

Paul
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    paul2718 wrote:
    36x30 is the same gear as 34x28, give or take a third of a tooth. So it's not the gearing.

Paul

Yes the difference in ratios between the two bikes is minimal.
  • Thanks for all the replies guys. I will stop moaning :D
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    craigleese wrote:
    Hi Kajjal

Meaning...

Thanks
    Craig

:) , I was wondering what happened.
  • Excellent knowledge mate :). Cheers
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I've only recently joined the world of road cycling with a heavy second hand bike in January. It has a standard double (53/39) and 11-25 on the back. I've been putting up with it for now, my 50-60 mile weekend rides are usually over 3,000ft of climbing and it turns my legs to jelly.

Looking forward to purchasing a new bike in the next couple of months with a compact and bigger cassette, I think I'll feel amazing for a short while. That 34/ 28 combo sounds amazing!
  • Pauld100
    Pauld100 Posts: 31
    I had the same on my old bike, why not just change the cassette for an 12-28 or similar? Made a difference for me and only cost about £25?
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Pauld100 wrote:
    I had the same on my old bike, why not just change the cassette for an 12-28 or similar? Made a difference for me and only cost about £25?

I dunno to be honest. I like to think that when I make the switch to a new bike the joy of a lighter frame, better gears AND compact double will make it feel amazing. I guess it's similar to when you don't eat much when you're going out for a nice meal.

I am also under the illusion that if I can get up all the steepest hills on my long rides with this shit heap of a bike I will feel (for a short time) like a god on the new one.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Novice = Compact (Not to say only for novices, I use a compact for hilly routes)

Unless you can push an 11 x 53 all the way up to 50mph+ you are wasting your gears.
  • Compact for novice? Really?

I know of a pro who is riding a compact and 28 rear tooth today.

These pro's aren't what they used to be eh.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • smoggysteve
    Compact for novice? Really?

did you even read my first sentence? not only for novices. it is there if you look carefully before you decide to respond.
  • smoggysteve
    Compact for novice? Really?

But looking at your post, you are suggesting a compact isnt for novices? By the look of what you wrote , do you actually know what you mean at all or you just randomly reacting to the first few words you glance at?
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Amusingly, in this case, both the OP's bikes are fitted with compacts, and both have equivalent bottom gears.

IMO many novices would be better off with a larger than 34 inner ring.

Paul
  • Compact for novice? Really?

But looking at your post, you are suggesting a compact isnt for novices? By the look of what you wrote , do you actually know what you mean at all or you just randomly reacting to the first few words you glance at?

haha, I know 100% what i mean.

i now haven't got a clue what you mean.

carry on.......
  • smoggysteve

i now haven't got a clue

carry on.......

FTFY

• i now haven't got a clue

carry on.......

FTFY

Look Mr angry fingers, what's your game??

Were you not cuddled as a child or something?

Do me a favor and stop bullying me, I'm terribly intimidated.

Step away from the keyboard and get the thread back on topic.
  • smoggysteve

i now haven't got a clue

carry on.......

FTFY

Look Mr angry fingers, what's your game??

Were you not cuddled as a child or something?

Do me a favor and stop bullying me, I'm terribly intimidated.

Step away from the keyboard and get the thread back on topic.

No need to feel intimidated. We are all one big happy family on here. I just want you to know you can come to me with any problem I promise I will be calm and understanding.

All I ask is you stop being a whiny b1tch and we can all get along.
  • Well well well children, that escalated quickly.

:roll:
  • smoggysteve
    banter
    ˈbantə/
    noun
    the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.
    "there was much good-natured banter"
    synonyms: repartee, raillery, ripostes, sallies, swordplay, quips, wisecracks, crosstalk, wordplay; badinage, witty conversation, witty remarks, witticism(s), joking, jesting, jocularity, drollery; bons mots; informalkidding, ribbing, joshing; rarepersiflage
    "a brief exchange of harmless banter"

Its a forum, not a place for the feint hearted
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Actually both those set-ups could be classed as compact as they are both 110 BCD. 52/36 is often sold as semi-compact. You can mix and match most rings from 33 up on them. I use 50/36, 50/34 and 52/38 on my bikes, all 110 BCD cranks.