6 Nats 2014

13»

Comments

• fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Think the commentary for Italy vs England has been very poor, and almost insulting to Italy. Seems that they commentators have taken the view that It was only ever a case of how many England won by, I know it's turned out that way, but Italy have beaten some good teams in the last few years., and run England close a few times.

I know they are trying to add to the excitement, but only way England were ever going to win the championship was if France beat Ireland.

Allez les bleus!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Think the commentary for Italy vs England has been very poor, and almost insulting to Italy. Seems that they commentators have taken the view that It was only ever a case of how many England won by, I know it's turned out that way, but Italy have beaten some good teams in the last few years., and run England close a few times.

I know they are trying to add to the excitement, but only way England were ever going to win the championship was if France beat Ireland.

Allez les bleus!

Turns out, if they'd cut out that interception try they weren't far off at all........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    F**king French! F**king French, you dash our hope than you give it back before throwing the fucking ball forward and dashing it all over again. If you re going to lose lose like The Scots so that I can embrace the Irish and Brian o Driscoll in full!

I love some frenchies, they know who they are, but god I can't STAND you right now! It's funny when you do it to the All Blacks but it is NOT FUNNY when you do it to England!

ARRGHHHH!!!!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    5 forwards passes by France IN THE SAME GAME! Shocking. A very entertaining game though.

Damn cheese eating surrender monkeys :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    That penalty miss from about 20m out and straight in front was hilarious, I'm sure the kicker just didn't want the English to take the title! I have to admit, I was torn between not wanting France win as it would drop Wales down to 4th and hand England the title and wanting them to win just to annoy BOD (why was he man of the match??).
  • ddraver
    Because the Frenchies (who were picking) are suckers for romance Pross, we ve watched enough Tours to know that ;)

Fair Play to Ireland, deserved winners. The Guys I was sat next to in Twickenham were fantastic fun and helped make the day so i don't begrudge them anything!

Curse the bounce of a rugby ball!

(I ve always had a soft spot fo the French Team, being a bit of a francophile, but god can you imagine what it must be like to have them as your national team, just 80 minutes of it was alternately excruciating and wonderful today!)

Anyway, nothing to get in the way of the cycling season now!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Flips sake!! :roll: :roll:

BizZjQICAAAYF34.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    The paper speaks the truth. France did throw it away :-(
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    mudsucker wrote:
    The paper speaks the truth. France did throw it away :-(

No more than Wales........ 8)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • eskimo Joe
    eskimo Joe Posts: 764
    Has desperate dan fathered the majority of the players, a lot of big chins in all teams!
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross wrote:
    ...I'm sure the kicker just didn't want the English to take the title...
    Let me explain things for you...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmkbJlYx1v8
  • ddraver
    hmm, not sure I buy that. He'd only been on for about 30 seconds and had to take a kick to win (probably) France's biggest game of the year.

lest we forget the usually ultra-reliable Jonny Sexton also spannered two, usually routine, kicks
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ...I'm sure the kicker just didn't want the English to take the title...
    Let me explain things for you...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmkbJlYx1v8

I don't need that explaining :wink:
  • Pross
    eskimo Joe wrote:
    Has desperate dan fathered the majority of the players, a lot of big chins in all teams!

Side affect of HGH isn't it?
  • eskimo Joe
    eskimo Joe Posts: 764
    Yes, but all the teams had a fair share, so at least it was a level playing field!
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • ddraver
    I think it's just rugby players, we re ugly buggers!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Speak for yourself!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I'm not too worried that we (England) didn't get the 6N title this time out. The France game was unlucky in the bounce of the ball and the fact it was a tough first match of the tournament. I think we've got plenty to be positive about. I think we'll do ok on the Summer tour to NZ and will be a very strong team the other side of it assuming we manage to be competitive and avoid a total spanking against the ABs. I think we have a lot more to be happy about than all of the other teams in the NH. Good coaching team, good crop of players, good improvement and potential.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Thing is, as and Englishman, player and fan of the game, this is the very best time to be a supporter.

Young team, on the up, promise, a bit of depth, the midfield quandry looking like its being solved (and with potential options), two or three players with a bit of swagger and others with a latent ability that is beginning to emerge. Close losses are a genuine lesson (specifically do no take the best player on the park off when you're playing France in Paris!) and every victory is a massive boost to confidence.

Trouble is that, if and when that becomes an expectation, it becomes more and more painful and stressful. Grand Slams have to be won and the Boks and The Blackness need to be at least beaten at home.

Enjoy the three tests against NZ. One test win down there and the pain of expectation will take over . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I understand the weight of expectation although I've always felt with the best England teams that the expectation comes more from within. The poorer teams feel the pressure from the media and fans because they're not that great, don't feel they have the potential and are aware of those facts. But when a team is really going places I think most of the external stuff is ignored because they're putting enough pressure on themselves to perform and click as they know they can. I fancy the current England team are excited about their potential and are excited about the prospects. If they lose against the top teams they will not worry about the headlines but more about their own performance, staying in the team and areas of improvement individually and collectively.

If you're a rubbish team you'll worry about what the press says. If you're a good team you'll worry about what the coach and your colleagues say. Compare and contrast this to the England football team who always look so scared of failure... because they know they aren't that great.